Mount Sinai Careers
Per Diem Physician Associate
Under the general supervision of a licensed and Board Certified Physician, evaluates and treats patients having medical, psychiatric, and/or surgical problems and assist in delivery of obstetrical care. Performs routine histories and physical/psychiatric examinations; performs and/or interprets diagnostic tests and/or procedures as detailed in the department specific scope of practice. Participates in teaching and quality assurance activities with other members of the clinical department. Delivers direct patient care.
Duties and Responsibilities Under the general supervision of an appropriately licensed and Board Certified Physician:
1. Performs complete patient histories and physical/psychiatric examinations; orders laboratory tests and x-rays; performs and/or interprets laboratory and test results; and initiates treatment. May perform routine or emergency procedures including but not limited to pap smears, irrigation and suturing of wounds or incisions, drainage of abscesses, insertion of nasogastric tubes and intravenous lines, sampling of arterial blood, etc. Writes appropriately authorized prescriptions including controlled substances. May respond to initial requests for service-specific consultation as per the department scope of practice.
2. May initiate or participate in initial management and stabilization of patients or other medical or surgical emergencies.
3. Confers with attending physicians, residents, nursing staff, etc., to ensure delivery of optimum quality of patient care. Confers regularly with Supervising Physician and/or Physician Assistant and co-workers to keep them apprised of clinical developments, patient concerns, etc. May participate in special projects as assigned. May prepare QA data for review.
4. Performs other duties pursuant to clinical responsibility, such as arranging follow-up for patients, obtaining informed consent from patient for procedures they are credentialed to perform, recalling patients for further evaluation and treatment, escorting patients, when necessary, to other areas of the hospital, etc. Informs patients of necessary post-discharge instructions as required. Makes appropriate entries in patients charts.
5. Completes and documents participation in continuing medical education required of Physician Assistants in order to meet requirements for certification, including assigned lectures and conferences.
6. In specific departments, may act as first assistant in operating area as needed. May perform pre-operative and post-operative evaluation and render related medical care as necessary.
7. Performs related duties as required professionally or at the request of the Supervising Physician, Director of Service and/or Supervising Physician Assistant.
Bachelor of Science or Master’s degree in Physician Assistant Studies
Minimum Licensing Requirements
NY State Physician Assistant Licensure
Certification by NCCPA and ACLS/BLS.PALS in some areas of patient care.
The Mount Sinai Health System is an equal opportunity employer. We promote recognition and respect for individual and cultural differences, and we work to make our employees feel valued and appreciated, whatever their race, gender, background, or sexual orientation.