Under general supervision of Regional Chief of Clinical Pathology, Site Manager and supervisor, performs and/or assists in performing all assigned qualitative and quantitative chemical tests (e.g., bilirubin, urea, transaminase, etc.) on blood and body fluids and/or exudates specimens, in the Chemistry Section of Rapid Response Laboratory in accordance with established departmental policies and procedures in order to aid in the treatment of injury or disease. Must validate and verify all testing per quality assurance/CQI standards; reports abnormal variations to supervisors. May accession patient specimens in accordance with established clinical protocols. Receives, labels and processes specimens, entering or verifying registration of requisite data in section computerized system. Sets up, adjusts, and operates all section equipment. Follows daily maintenance and quality assurance/CQI procedures in accordance with established institutional and regulatory protocols; participates in periodic linearity, stability and correlation studies or other procedures as required. Maintains cleanliness of equipment and general working area, stocking clinical supplies. Ensures proper equipment operation, reporting problems to supervisors. Provides support to patient areas serving all age groups via clinical testing of patient specimens in accordance with quality assurance guidelines and set procedures.
1. † Under supervision of Regional Chief of Pathology, Site Manager and supervisor, performs and/or assists in performing all assigned qualitative and quantitative chemical tests on patient blood and body fluids (potentially inclusive of, but not limited to, chemical, endocrinological, toxicological, immunological and other analytes as required) in accordance with established section policies and procedures to provide diagnostic data for medical evaluation. Sorts, spins and separates specimens for analysis (via centrifugation, ultra-filtration, etc.). Completes all required docmentation and performs all required quality assurance/CQI procedures. Logs, enters, verifies and validates all requisite data in computerized clinical system or on manual records. Records and reports abnormal findings ("panic values") to supervisor(s) and respective clinical units.
2. † Under supervision of Regional Chief of Pathology, Site Manager and supervisor, may receive, label and process patient specimens, entering requisite information into section computerized system in accordance with set procedures. Completes all documentation and logs all information in accordance with set procedures. Collects specimens by venipuncture or other means as required.
3. † Performs ongoing daily quality assurance/CQI functions in accordance with established policies and procedures to ensure safety, environmental and infection control and compliance with requirements of accreditation and regulatory agencies. Participates in periodic linearity, stability and correlation studies, etc. as required. Prepares reagents and solutions following procedural guidelines.
4. † Provides support functions maintaining work area quality; maintains files and statistics. May answer telephones for area and record messages. Maintains clean work station and equipment and maintains stock of clinical supplies.
5. † Ensures good working order of equipment. Troubleshoots routine equipment problems or seeks technical assistance, keeping supervisor(s) informed. Participates in evaluation/introduction/verification of tests/methods/systems.
6. Provides guidance and "lead" function for other technical and support staff. May assist with training and orientation of residents and students. Attends in-service training/continuing education to maintain knowledge in discipline.
7. Performs related duties as assigned or required as professional technologist.
Minimum Licensing Requirements
New York State Department of Education Clinical Laboratory Technologist License required.
Minimum Certification Requirements
ASCP/equivalent certification desired
The Mount Sinai Health System is an equal opportunity employer. We promote recognition and respect for individual and cultural differences, and we work to make our employees feel valued and appreciated, whatever their race, gender, background, or sexual orientation.