Mount Sinai Careers
Please enter a valid email.
Unfortunately, our network is not responding. Please try again later.
Your job alert was successfully created.
Child Life Specialist I
Provides therapeutic programming based on an understanding of normal human growth and development and the impact that illness, injury disability and hospitalization have on the development process. Provide children opportunities for gaining a sense of mastery, for play, learning, self-expression, family involvement and for peer interaction.
- Introduces Child Life role and services to families.
- Implements therapeutic programming for pediatric patients.
- Provides play opportunities and other experiences which foster continued growth and development, which may prevent adverse reactions to healthcare encounters. Provides interactions and activities to match individualized needs of patients and families including their developmental, physical, social and emotional needs.
- Provides normalization activities during hospitalization within a non-threatening and supportive environment (i.e. peer interaction, opportunities for play, and access to playrooms, toys, games and videos).
- Provides continuous observation of play area to ensure a safe environment.
- Provides art and play opportunities at patient bedsides as needed.
- Participates in special events by identifying appropriate patients and helping to implement programming.
- Under the supervision of the Child Life Program Coordinator, will work with volunteers to maximize their use in providing opportunities for the delivery of child life services.
- Review comprehensive information related to all assigned patients on a daily basis and record all interventions, observations and outcomes in medical chart.
- Support recognition of significant and familiar experiences, including: meaningful holidays, birthdays, and other family observances.
- Communicates effectively with other members of the healthcare team.
- The child life specialist will be responsible for the delivery of child life services in the inpatient and outpatient pediatric settings and other areas when requested.
- The child life specialist may be called upon to assist with specialized programming that may require weekend or evening hours.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
-Possess a BA/BS, MA/MS in Child Life or a healthcare related field preferred.
-Child Life Certification required.
-Experience working with children and families required.
-1 year hospital based child life experience preferred.
Mount Sinai Health System is an equal opportunity employer. We promote
recognition and respect for individual and cultural differences, and we work to
make our employees feel valued and appreciated, whatever their race, gender,
background, or sexual orientation.