Mount Sinai Careers
Per Diem Pulmonary Function Technologist
1. Under supervision of the Pulmonary Function Laboratory Supervisor performs routine computerized pulmonary function tests and related calculations for the treatment of pulmonary and cardiac diseases. In accordance with departmental policies and procedures, prepares patients and examination areas. Sets up, cleans, and calibrates pulmonary function equipment. For and patient safety, observes safety precautions and equipment maintenance. Prior to testing session, provides patient orientation.
2. Under supervision, performs or assists in performing pulmonary function diagnostic evaluation in accordance with established clinical protocols. Operates and adjusts equipment, observing safety guidelines. During testing, responds to patients’ needs. Makes routine calculations and records all applicable examination results, completing all relevant medical documentation. Cleans, sterilizes, and maintains reusable pulmonary function equipment. As permitted by the New York State Education Department, Office of the Professions; may perform specialized diagnostic examinations such as obtaining arterial blood gas samples and administering medications, such as bronchodilators and oxygen.
3. Assists in the performance of bronchoscopy procedures: prepares patients; sets up equipment instruments, cleans, sterilizes and maintains instruments, prepares and distributes specimens. In accordance with Queens Medical Center’s infection control guidelines, maintains the Bronchoscopy Suite; and wears personal protective as required.
4. Under supervision, performs miscellaneous testing functions, such as sleep disorder evaluations (sleep testing). Assists in providing sessions related to pulmonary rehabilitation.
5. Provides related support functions as required. Schedules patient studies, initiates transportation, and maintains test files and statistics. May answer telephones for pulmonary labs and record messages. Maintains a clean work area, and maintains a full stock of applicable clinical supplies.
6. Ensures good working order of equipment. Troubleshoots routine equipment problems or seeks technical assistance for equipment malfunctions, keeping supervisor(s) appropriately informed.
7. Performs other related duties as assigned or required as a Cardiopulmonary Technician. May assist with the training and orientation of medical residents, and clinical students from various departments.