Mount Sinai Careers
Strength Through Diversity
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
Roles & Responsibilities:
Under the general supervision of Director of Service, supervises daily provision of office support and administrative services such as word-processing/typing, dictation, answering telephones, reception, maintaining files, timekeeping and payroll, routine budgetary analysis, and related duties. Supervises and assigns work to subordinate clerical staff. Day-to-day job requires discretion when handling confidential information, such as salaries, clinical credentials, and budgetary materials. Job does not involve provision of patient care; may require coordination of patient transfers/liaison, typing consultation notes.
1. † Supervises operation of clinical departmental office: prepares or oversees preparation of physician and other clinical credentialing materials, Director's confidential correspondence, payroll/timesheets (HHC and MSS) for submission to Payroll area, subscription or book orders for submission to Purchasing, etc.; maintains departmental accrued leave records and budgetary materials; supports clinic scheduling activities; prepares clinical, statistical, regulatory or governmental reports as required; prepares clinician appointment or reappointment packages; completes and submits payroll/HR actions for new hires or changes in employee status. May serve as personal assistant to Director.
2. † Supervises provision of secretarial support for Director of Service and management personnel and the clinical departmental office: laboratory procedures typing as needed, completion of memoranda, forms and various documents of clinical or administrative character, internal and external correspondence; may take dictation, providing transcription; ensures proper maintenance of departmental files. May perform secretarial functions as required. Handles the scheduling of Departmental and Quality management meetings. Handles taking the minutes of the meetings and following up with the respective chairpersons of the meeting and the quality manager. Also handles Blood utilization committee meetings, scheduling and handling minute of the meeting under the Blood Bank Director or designee. Handles ordering for Anatomic Pathology reagents and supplies and all annual requisitions for CAP, NYState, and other regulatory or environmental orders
3. † Performs office support functions: answers telephones, records messages, opens and distributes mail for department head and other staff; schedules meetings and appointments for Director of Service and laboratory Directors and managers; maintains calendar for Director and laboratory managers; performs miscellaneous scheduling duties for other department members. May complete travel arrangements for Director of Service and other department members. Coordinate job candidate/professional applicant interviewing process.
4. In offices with residency training programs, coordinates resident scheduling. Generally, under physician guidance, prepares monthly in-house attending and resident on-call schedules. May arrange employee continuing education enrollment. May have responsibility for following up with clinicians in regard to completion of incomplete charts. Handles cytology proctoring
5. Supervises office clerical personnel: delegates routine work to subordinates, checks work product for accuracy; evaluates performance. Recommends hiring, termination, and discipline relevant to incumbents or job candidates.
6. In offices involved with private practice plans, performs functions supporting physician billing and administration of private practice. Expedites resolution of problems and billing inquiries. Handles credentialing and annual assessment of Clinical staff.
7. Performs as departmental liaison with HHC QHC administration and all areas of Mount Sinai Management such as Administration, Finance and Human Resources. Serves as initial contact for external regulatory and governmental entities making inquiries of various types.
8. Provides related duties as requested by Director of Service. May be called upon to perform work of other employees during temporary absences or leaves. Performs Data entry as needed
9. Supervises clerical subordinate staff; may coordinate work assignments of clinical and technical staff as directed by clinicians or managers.
Education: Associate's degree or equivalent work experience. Bachelor's degree preferred.
Experience: 3 years of directly related experience. 1 year in a supervisory role preferred.