The Mount Sinai Health System seeks a Regional Medical Director for its ambulatory practices in Nassau County!
The Nassau Regional Medical Director is responsible for working with site medical directors and practice physicians, practice management, and Network leadership to ensure excellent patient care, quality outcomes, and patient and provider satisfaction. In addition, the Regional Medical Director will provide necessary leadership so that Nassau-based practices meet their targets regarding practice efficiency, financial performance, and clinical integration. The Regional Medical Director will oversee all Nassau-based ambulatory practices in the MSHS, including Manhasset, Hewlett, LIHA, CRSSNY, as well as the ambulatory practices associated with SNCH.
As Mount Sinai evolves its healthcare model in a changing reimbursement environment, the Regional Medical Director will play a lead role in preparing the regional practices and its clinicians for value-based care and will utilize his/her leadership to positively impact change management. To meet these goals, the Regional Medical Director is expected to serve as the senior ambulatory physician for Nassau County Network practices. He/She is expected to provide clinical supervision for practice physicians, identify clinical needs, promote adherence to Health System protocols, processes, and best practices, support practice growth and recruitment, and serve as a liaison with Network and Health System leadership. The Regional Medical Director will lead by example, bringing out the best in his/her colleagues.
• Reports directly to CMO of the Mount Sinai Health Network with a matrix reporting role to the CMO of South Nassau Communities Hospital.
• Minimum requirements: Physician must be board-certified and in good standing with a minimum of 5-10 of years clinical experience and at least 5 years of demonstrated administrative and leadership responsibilities
• Must actively see patients as part of practice
• Must attend management training sessions as directed by Health System and Network leadership
• In addition, must participate in practice management modules as part of CME requirement
• Schedules regular meetings on at least a monthly basis with site medical directors and admins
• Attends and provides guidance for monthly physician practice meetings
• Sends regular communications to site medical directors and regional physicians about policies, updates, etc
• Sets up bi-annual review meetings with site medical directors to review performance (leakage, patient experience, access, productivity, clinical issues, professional issues, office interactions)
• Leads by example, sets high personal and professional standards, serves as positive change agent, and brings out best in colleagues,
• Develops, drives, and tracks performance against key Network priorities, including: productivity, access, patient experience, quality metrics, value-based care, and leakage
• Provides regional oversight and guidance for procedures pertinent to physicians and physician extenders.
• Promotes adherence to Health System protocols, processes, and best practices
• Reviews requests from site medical directors for new equipment, services, physician extenders and personnel, and makes recommendations to senior administration at Mount Sinai
• Tracks and promotes clinical integration activities among Regional physicians
• Assists in the efficient allocation and use of clinical space
• Oversees teaching and research activities at practice Regional
• Serves as Regional clinical lead for emergency operations
• Ensures proper compliance with infection control and other regulatory policies
• Develops EMR and other electronic platform strategy across practices, including recommendations regarding prioritization, sequencing, usage and integration.
• Supports appropriate use of healthcare technology amongst regional practitioners
• Develops regional strategic plan in partnership with Network and SNCH leadership, including facility and programming, recruitments, and regional physician alignments
• Evaluates opportunities for new initiatives, taking into account budgeting, sessions, specialists, expected physician turnover, local healthcare market, space needs, equipment etc.
• Reviews strategic plan with Health Network and SNCH leadership and works with leadership to modify recommendations and develop implementation plan
• Promotes regional integrative activities, including standardization of best practices across Nassau, regional resources and care management, use of MSHS specialty services and facilities, regional events and programming
• Develops community outreach strategies and interface with local physicians and community organizations. Identifies marketing opportunities and works with Network leadership on development and rollout of materials and campaigns
• Works with SNCH and Network leadership to ensure that the practice meets the quality standards set for the Health System.
• Ensure performance against key quality metrics identified by the Health System Leadership
• Addresses and escalates quality issues as needed
Physician Supervisory and Support Activities
• Supports site medical director in addressing issue of physician behavior, competence, and fitness for duty
• Reviews and address complaints and issues concerning physician quality. In concert with Network and SNCH CMO, recommends appropriate remediation or disciplinary action when necessary
• Ensures that regional providers receive appropriate mentorship and career development opportunities
• Meets regularly with Regional Administrator(s) to improve operational flow, use of staff, physicians, facility improvements and patient satisfaction
• Addresses and escalates practice management issues as needed
• On a regular basis, meets with Health Network and SNCH leadership to review and address:
- Financial performance and utilization
- Performance on population health / value-based initiatives and contracts
- Patient experience
Physician Staffing, Recruitment, and Retention
• Works on development and implementation of plan to increase appropriate use of Mount Sinai physicians and services
• Oversees, in partnership with Practice Leadership, physician recruitment and appointment processes, including early position identification, development and posting of job descriptions, review of CVs, managing interviews, and working with Network leadership on finalizing appointments
• Ensure that regional physicians have access to regular CME and non-CME educational activities
• Brings in MSHS physician experts for educational sessions and clinical practice updates
• Alerts practice clinicians to educational opportunities at MSHS
• As appropriate coordinates teaching activities for any rotating med students, residents, or fellows
About Mount Sinai:
The Mount Sinai Health System is New York City’s largest integrated delivery system encompassing seven hospital campuses, a leading medical school, and a vast network of ambulatory practices throughout the greater New York region. Mount Sinai’s vision is to produce the safest care, the highest quality, the highest satisfaction, the best access and the best value of any health system in the nation.
The System includes approximately 7,100 primary and specialty care physicians; 10 joint-venture ambulatory surgery centers; more than 140 ambulatory practices throughout the five boroughs of New York City, Westchester, Long Island, and Florida; and 31 affiliated community health centers. Physicians are affiliated with the renowned Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, which is ranked among the highest in the nation in National Institutes of Health funding per investigator. The Mount Sinai Hospital is ranked as one of the nation’s top 20 hospitals in Cardiology/Heart Surgery, Diabetes/Endocrinology, Gastroenterology/GI Surgery, Geriatrics, Nephrology, and Neurology/Neurosurgery, and is in the top 50 in four other specialties in the 2017-2018 “Best Hospitals” issue of U.S. News & World Report. Mount Sinai’s Kravis Children’s Hospital also is ranked in seven out of ten pediatric specialties by U.S. News & World Report. The New York Eye and Ear Infirmary of Mount Sinai is ranked 12th nationally for Ophthalmology, while Mount Sinai Beth Israel, Mount Sinai St. Luke’s and Mount Sinai West are ranked regionally.
The Mount Sinai Health System is an equal opportunity employer. We promote recognition and respect for individual and cultural differences, and we work to make our employees feel valued and appreciated, whatever their race, gender, background, or sexual orientation.
Please specify Job Title of interest and send CV with Cover Letter to:
Director Physician Recruitment
Mount Sinai Health System