The Special Assistant provides medical care under the direct supervision of a physician in one of four specialty areas: Orthopedics, Urology, Radiology or Acupuncture. This individual provides a range of comprehensive medical services.
1. Assesses patient health by interview and by obtaining and/or updating medical history. Documents patient care services.
2. Performs physical examinations and provides treatment and counsel. Performs initial evaluations of patients who require the immediate attention of a physician.
3. Determines abnormal conditions by administering or ordering diagnostic tests and laboratory studies. Follows-up on x-rays and laboratory data. Performs an initial reading of diagnostic tests for discussion with the physician.
4. Performs therapeutic procedures appropriate to the service, under the direction of the physician. Utilizes appropriate diagnostic techniques.
5. Counsels patients regarding prescribed therapeutic regimens and health maintenance.
6. Maintains accurate and complete patient records. Under direct supervision of the physician, develops a viable patient management plan. Records procedure and progress notes and discharge summaries, and assists in provision of continuity of care.
7. Maintains a safe and clean work environment by ensuring compliance with infection-control policies and protocols and other safety procedures and regulations.
8. May assist in the development and delivery of education related to pre and post-operative evaluation and treatment plans.
9. Assists in surgical scheduling and medical clearance.
10. May provides assistance to physicians during surgery or complicated medical procedures.
11. Performs other related duties
Bachelor’s degree and coursework related to Physician Assistant studies preferred
Prior Medical Assistant, Special Assistant or relevant clinical exposure.
NYS Special Assistant Licensure