Strength Through Diversity
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
Roles & Responsibilities:
Performs basic, routine and advanced diagnostic procedures for the Hematology Testing from clinical specimens. In each specialized area, the technologist must maintain in-depth knowledge of techniques, principles and instrumentation, as well as the physiological conditions affecting test results. Maintains familiarity with the various testing procedures done in a laboratory. In addition, conducts or assists in special projects, evaluates new products and instrumentation and performs quality control measures.
- Demonstrates the ability to perform clinical/technical/service/administrative tasks.
- Performs technical procedures in chemistry /hematology including but not limited to coagulation and urinalysis as outlined in the policy and procedure manual(s).
- Performs periodic/scheduled and as needed maintenance on instrumentation/equipment. Maintains documentation including remedial action for problems encountered.
- Performs quality control and calibration procedures when indicated; verifies in laboratory information system; records on Levy-Jennings charts; signs QC logs.
- Ensures that all required Quality Control and/or calibration procedures are completed by signing out the records appropriately- per shift/daily/monthly etc., a) All QC are logged in the LIS and indicated on the Charts when needed and b.)Signs all QC Logs.
- Maintains all records as per the regulatory requirements: card files, patient requisitions, LIS Documentation, statistical data.
- Consults with the Supervisor or the Pathologist, if needed, on all important results, conflicting or out of range (recognized patterns specified in policy) results. Notes inadequate volume and/ or abnormal appearance of sample
- Reviews all Critical Test results by repeat analysis if necessary, and communicates the same to Nursing Staff/ Physician every time. Supervisor/Pathologist is always notified in extreme cases. Enters the details of the Critical Value communication in LIS.
- Prioritizes work activities to meet the established/expected test result turnaround time. Always notifies Supervisor if cannot perform a test or it is delayed.
- Assists in Inventory Control to assure adequate supplies (QC, reagents, calibrators and other consumables are available and reagents are stored properly (temperature sensitive). Supplies are dated appropriately when placed in use.
- Participates in other projects/duties as assigned by the Supervisor/ Lab Management.
- Takes initiative in resolving instrument related problems and finding alternate options for test processing.
- Uses available time to departmental advantage and assists where needed.
- Demonstrates the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care, based on physical, psychosocial, educational, safety, and related criteria, appropriate to the age of the patients served in assigned area.
- May be required to perform other duties as assigned or perform other duties when necessary.
- Participates in the department’s performance improvement activities.
- Maintains patient/employee confidentiality in the management of information.
- Observes the Health Care System’s compliance policies.
- Participates in Competency and Proficiency testing programs, reports results back to Supervisor.
- Observes all Safety procedures and precautions: a) Uses Personal Protective Equipment such as Lab Coats, gloves, mask, shield etc., b) Disposes off contaminated waste and samples as specified by the hospital and laboratory manual.
- Wears hospital ID badge at all times while on premises.
- Participates in the training of other staff members.
- Meets regulatory, licensure and annual health assessment requirements.
- Identifies learning strengths and needs
- Utilizes learning resources.
- Participates in continuing education. Attends at least four continuing education sessions a year.
- Demonstrates a professional, courteous, and respectful attitude in dealing with patients and their families
- Promotes team approach and clear communication for problem resolution in a timely manner.
- Communicates suggestions/ new ideas for improving work performance/ operations.
- Displays courtesy, tact and patience during interactions with all members of the laboratory, hospital staff and extended community.
- Bachelor of Science in Medical Technology required
- 0-1 year of experience in related field
- NYS Clinical Laboratory Technologist License required
- Must be able to work on dead bodies or body parts
Strength Through Diversity
The Mount Sinai Health System believes that diversity is a driver for excellence. We share a common devotion to delivering exceptional patient care. Yet we’re as diverse as the city we call home- culturally, ethically, in outlook and lifestyle. When you join us, you become a part of Mount Sinai’s unrivaled record of achievement, education and advancement as we revolutionize medicine together.
We work hard to acquire and retain the best people, and to create a welcoming, nurturing work environment where you can develop professionally. We share the belief that all employees, regardless of job title or expertise, can make an impact on quality patient care.
Explore more about this opportunity and how you can help us write a new chapter in our story!
Who We Are
Over 38,000 employees strong, the mission of the Mount Sinai Health System is to provide compassionate patient care with seamless coordination and to advance medicine through unrivaled education, research, and outreach in the many diverse communities we serve.
Formed in September 2013, The Mount Sinai Health System combines the excellence of the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai with seven premier hospital campuses, including Mount Sinai Beth Israel, Mount Sinai Beth Israel Brooklyn, The Mount Sinai Hospital, Mount Sinai Queens, Mount Sinai West (formerly Mount Sinai Roosevelt), Mount Sinai St. Luke’s, and New York Eye and Ear Infirmary of Mount Sinai.
The Mount Sinai Health System is an equal opportunity employer. We promote recognition and respect for individual and cultural differences, and we work to make our employees feel valued and appreciated, whatever their race, gender, background, or sexual orientation.