Gastroenterologist needed at Valley Health in Ridgewood, NJ!
Reports to: Chair, Medical Specialty Services
Primary Clinical Duties and Responsibilities
• Evaluates, diagnoses and treats disorders and diseases of the Gastrointestinal System
• Performs screening of the gastrointestinal system, including but not limited to colonoscopies
• Works with multidisciplinary team of gastroenterologists and other specialists to offer patients the latest evidence based treatments and comprehensive , specialized care for all types of gastrointestinal disorders
• Demonstrates and models service excellence behavior at all times. Responds with concern, cooperation and respect. Establishes cooperative working relationships with all individuals with whom contact is made
• Maintains patient confidentiality
• Utilizes appropriate and effective patient care plans including appropriate diagnostic procedures, therapies and consultations. Completes documentation concurrently as patients are seen.
• Assures continuity of care through adequate scheduling and tracking of return visits, completion of treatment plans, follow-up of chronic problems, abnormal tests and no-shows
• Explains and discusses patient’s medical condition, treatments, results, risks and reasonable alternatives with his/her patients/Next of kin as appropriate as part of the informed treatment and consent process. Provides appropriate patient education including clear explanation of treatment, use and side effects of prescribed medications, health maintenance, use of appropriate educational handouts or other written instructions
• Delegates clinical tasks appropriate to the level of training of a staff member. Cooperates with staff regarding triage/patient flow
• Provides an accounting of services rendered and accurate, specific diagnosis codes for each patient by completing appropriate billing/reimbursement documentation
• Utilizes and follows infection control and safety protocols appropriately
• Maintains familiarity with practices on site diagnostic procedures and equipment
• Participates in peer review and other projects initiated by the quality management committee/ department
• Promotes and supports a culture consistent with primary focus on quality of care, integrity and team performance
• Ensures professional development of self and team -i.e. pursues continuing education opportunities, participates in professional organizations, reads professional journals and texts, shares knowledge as appropriate with other members of the health care team
• Participates in practice’s on- call schedules as needed. The on-call schedule is fluid and may change depending upon staffing.
• Is available for emergency calls.
• Identifies opportunities to improve processes, reports or systems that take advantage of cost savings, employee satisfaction and/or customer satisfaction.
• Promotes and practices economical and effective healthcare.
• Completes in a timely manner all managed care applications, credentialing and re-credentialing requests from the corporate office
• Abides by guidelines established by all managed care and insurance payors including Medicare
• Participates in committees, assists in the recruitment of gastroenterologists and developing specific programs to further gastrointestinal research and development within the Valley Health System
• Performs other duties as determined collaboratively with the Chair, GI Division and / or practice manager that are within the scope of practice and policies of Valley Medical Group.
• MD or DO.
• Board-certification in Gastroenterology.
• Maintenance of up-to-date credentials, including: CV, license, DEA, CDS, board certification, documentation of hospital admitting privileges.
• Maintains CME credit hours as required for board certification and/or hospital staff privileges.
• Maintains professional affiliations to keep current with healthcare trends.
• Outstanding interpersonal skills
• Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both verbal and written
• Ability and interest to function as a part of team
• Exhibit a strong orientation toward supervision of high-quality, cost-effective, comprehensive medical care
• Demonstrates behavior that is courteous, caring, respectful and compassionate
• Listens and respond in a nonjudgmental manner with clear explanations
• Demonstrates behavior that models the Valley Health System values and standards as well as the Valley Medical Group’s mission and vision statements
• Represents the organization positively
• Respects patient confidentiality at all times
• Honors commitments to the job and coworkers
• Speaks constructively about coworkers and the organization
• Assumes responsibility and accountability of job duties
• Supports companywide efforts to improve and maintain a high level of patient/customer satisfaction
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
• Office/hospital environment
• Frequent talking, sitting , writing, typing
• Occasional stooping, kneeling and reaching is necessary
• Hearing within the normal range
• Has working knowledge of all office equipment, including but not limited to telephones and telephone system capabilities, copy machine, fax machine, personal computer, word processing and practice management and/or electronic medical record software
• Concentration, corrected vision and attention to detail are necessary
About the Mount Sinai Health System:
The Mount Sinai Health System is New York City's largest integrated delivery system, encompassing eight hospitals, a leading medical school, and a vast network of ambulatory practices throughout the greater New York region. Mount Sinai's vision is to produce the safest care, the highest quality, the highest satisfaction, the best access and the best value of any health system in the nation. The Health System includes approximately 7,480 primary and specialty care physicians; 11 joint-venture ambulatory surgery centers; more than 410 ambulatory practices throughout the five boroughs of New York City, Westchester, Long Island, and Florida; and 31 affiliated community health centers. The Icahn School of Medicine is one of three medical schools that have earned distinction by multiple indicators: ranked in the top 20 by U.S. News & World Report's "Best Medical Schools", aligned with a U.S. News & World Report's "Honor Roll" Hospital, No. 12 in the nation for National Institutes of Health funding, and among the top 10 most innovative research institutions as ranked by the journal Nature in its Nature Innovation Index. This reflects a special level of excellence in education, clinical practice, and research. The Mount Sinai Hospital is ranked No. 14 on U.S. News & World Report's "Honor Roll" of top U.S. hospitals; it is one of the nation's top 20 hospitals in Cardiology/Heart Surgery, Diabetes/Endocrinology, Gastroenterology/GI Surgery, Geriatrics, Gynecology, Nephrology, Neurology/Neurosurgery, and Orthopedics in the 2019-2020 "Best Hospitals" issue. Mount Sinai's Kravis Children's Hospital also is ranked nationally in five out of ten pediatric specialties by U.S. News & World Report. The New York Eye and Ear Infirmary of Mount Sinai is ranked 12th nationally for Ophthalmology and the South Nassau Communities Hospital is ranked 35th nationally for Urology. Mount Sinai Beth Israel, Mount Sinai St. Luke's, Mount Sinai West, and Mount Sinai South Nassau are ranked regionally.
The Mount Sinai Health System is an equal opportunity employer. We promote recognition and respect for individual and cultural differences, and we work to make our employees feel valued and appreciated, whatever their race, gender, background, or sexual orientation.
Please specify Job Title of interest and send CV with Cover Letter to:
Executive Director Physician Recruitment
Mount Sinai Health System