Under supervision of the Chief Occupational Therapist and Board Certified Physiatrist, provides occupational therapy services to hospital patients: evaluates and re-evaluates, writes treatments plans and treats patients suffering from physical disabilities. Our goal is to increase independence in activities for daily living (ADL), facilitate learning of skills and functions essential for adaptation and productivity, to diminish or correct pathology and to promote and maintain a healthy lifestyle. Delivers direct patient care to patients of all age groups. Povides oversight to COTA and Staff OT. Performs quality assurance and administrative functions for section.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Under physiatrist supervision, provides occupational therapy services: conducts patient examination to evaluate cognitive abilities, sensation, balance, coordination, perceptual motor ability, and etc. for purpose of establishing parameters of patients’ disability and to formulate treatment plans.
2. Uses evaluation to establish treatment programs appropriate to individual patients including but not limited to strengthening exercises, balance and coordination activities, ADL/ transfers, training in accordance, and section departmental clinical policies and procedures.
3. Administers treatments to patients to improve or restore functions in accordance with prescriptions and results of patients evaluations; uses various types of equipment and modalities to improve functions; designs and fabricates adaptive equipment such as sling and splints to prevent deformity and increase functional ability. Instruct patients and their family in use of adaptive equipment.
4. Follows departmental policies and procedures regarding the completion of initial, interim and discharge summary reports. Countersigns all certified occupational therapy assistant documentation. As a member of the interdisciplinary team, provides information and feedback regarding patient’s initial status, reactions and response to treatment and discharge planning, as well as the completion of departmental statistical paperwork.
5. Collaborate with patients, families, and social services for discharging plans.
6. Assists in ensuring that patients and staff, adhere to all departmental safety regulations including the surveillance of environmental conditions, the replacement of equipment to assigned areas, maintains equipment in good working order and notifies supervisor of need for equipment repair.
7. Maintains an appropriate quantity of supplies and informs supervisor as to supplies and equipment needs.
8. Provides Physical therapy /Occupational therapy services on weekends as required by the department.
9. Provides clinical oversight to the staff occupational therapist and certified occupational therapy assistant. Assigns volunteers to delegated tasks in areas related to or non-related to patient care.
10. Collects quality assurance and continuous quality improvement data as assigned by their supervisor.
11. Attendance at all departmental in-service sessions are required and actively plans and contributes to the departmental educational activities. Conducts or participates in training of other medical personnel regarding occupational therapy treatment, objectives and safety techniques. Attends outside seminars, conferences, and workshops for continued professional growth.
12. Responsible for assignment and scheduling of patient caseload to staff working in designated areas so that workload can be managed in any easy flow and equitable fashion.
13. Daily oversight of staff occupational therapist, certified occupational therapy assistants, rehabilitation technicians, clinical affiliation students and volunteers in designated areas.
14. Responsible for addressing clinical issues utilizing professional judgment in suggesting modification of treatment approaches in the interest and welfare of the patients.
15. Provides mentoring, guidance and direction to less experienced therapists; acts as a role model. Can provide the orientation process to new staff members, students and volunteers.
16. As delegated by the Chief of OT will assume the responsibility as the clinical coordinator for all student affiliation programs.
17. Mentor and assist in educational process as a clinical instructor for the student affiliation programs.
18. Responsible for the submission of supplies and equipment needs to the Chief of OT.
19. Prepares and submits statistics and reports as delegated by their supervisor on a regular and timely basis. Prepares records according to departmental policies and procedures. Participates in the collection, interpretation, documentation and reporting of QA/CQI project statistics.
20. Following discussion with the Chief Occupational Therapist, will be responsible for the completion of their mutually agreed upon performance appraisal plans and goals.
21. Perform other job related/non-job related functions that may be necessary, as directed, in the direct/indirect patient category.
22. Remains informed of current trends in field by reviewing literature, data and attending conference or training programs in order to meet CME requirements.
Job requires completion of NYS-approved and American Occupational Therapy Association- certified program for training of occupational therapists to acquire theoretical and practicall knowledge of evaluation and treatment of physical and psychosocial dysfunction, orthotics, prosthetics, and physiology at level normally attained via Bachelor’s Degree in occupational therapy.
Minimum 4 years of related therapist experience, either through clinical rotation or employment, should have been preferably in a large scale healthcare organization, in order to gain solid evaluation and treatment skills, good knowledge of therapy methods and demonstrable facility for effective interaction with interdisciplinary areas.
Should have a current Occupational Therapy Registration and certification, issued by the University of the State of New York Education Department, office of the Professions.
Minimum Certification Requirements
Should have current certification with National Board for Certification in Occupational Therapy, Inc.