Under the general supervision of a licensed and Board Certified / eligible Physician, evaluates and treats patients having medical problems. Performs routine histories and physical examinations; performs and/or interprets diagnostic tests and/or procedures as detailed in the department specific scope of practice. Participates in teaching and quality assurance activities with other members of the clinical department. Delivers direct patient care. Writes appropriately authorized prescriptions. May respond to initial requests for service-specific consultation as per the department scope of practice. Assists in performance of stress tests in the chest pain unit or stress lab.
Under the general supervision of an appropriately licensed and Board Certified / eligible Physician:
1. Performs complete patient histories and physicals; orders laboratory tests and x-rays; performs and/or interprets laboratory and test results; and initiates treatment. Writes appropriately authorized prescriptions including controlled substances. Assists in performance of stress tests in the chest pain unit or stress lab; may respond to initial requests for service-specific consultation as per the department scope of practice.
2. May initiate or participate in initial management and stabilization of patients or other medical or surgical emergencies.
3. Confers with attending physicians, residents, nursing staff, etc., to ensure delivery of optimum quality of patient care. Confers regularly with Supervising Physician and/or Physician Assistant and co-workers to keep them apprised of clinical developments, patient concerns, etc.
4. Performs other duties pursuant to clinical responsibility, such as arranging follow-up for patients, obtaining informed consent from patient for procedures they are credentialed to perform, recalling patients for further evaluation and treatment, escorting patients, when necessary, to other areas of the hospital, etc. Informs patients of necessary post-discharge instructions as required. Makes appropriate entries in patients charts.
5. Completes and documents participation in continuing medical education required of Physician Assistants in order to meet requirements for certification, including assigned lectures and conferences.
6. Performs related duties as required professionally or at the request of the Supervising Physician, Director of Service and/or Supervising Physician Assistant.
7. Performs related duties as required professionally or at the request of the Supervising Physician, Director of Service and/or Supervising Physician Assistant.