The Medical Dosimetrist works under the general supervision of the Medical Physicists, and generates treatment plans for external beam therapy and brachytherapy patients. The Dosimetrist is expected to remain current with technical developments, standards of practice, professional issues and changes in regulatory requirements.
- Works with technical staff during patient simulation, when required
- Generates treatment plan as per physician’s prescription in consultation with physicist
- Performs independent plan check using the established method of the department
- Transfers approved plan data to the record and verify system and verify data consistency with the approved plan
- Assists in setting up difficult treatment fields in the machine for the first treatment, when required
- Performs weekly chart-check
- Attends weekly chart-round
- Assists preparation and loading of sealed sources for brachytherapy application
- Assists in brachytherapy procedure
- Assists planning and fabrication of blocks/cutouts, when needed
- Performs measurements, when needed
- Assists machine commissioning, acceptance testing, QA, etc.
- Assists data acquisition, data modeling and commissioning, etc.
- Prepares documentation, forms, etc.
- Follows patient’s confidentiality requirements
- Maintains department quality assurance protocols
- Maintains functionality of the planning system and peripherals
- Completes required continued education and training
- Provides emergency dosimetry coverage, when warranted
- Follows departmental policies and procedures
-Bachelor of Science is required.
-Basic computer (MS Office) and internet browsing skills required.
-Good written and oral communication skills are required.
-Ability to work under stressful conditions is essential and must be detail oriented.
-Planning and time utilization: Work is thought out and planned in advance and successfully implemented. Coordinates own work to achieve efficiency and quality patient care. Work is completed in a timely manner; meeting deadlines.
-One year of experience as a Medical Dosimetrist is desired.
-Certification by the Medical Dosimetrist Certification Board or be eligible for the board examination is desired.
-A graduate from The Joint Review Committee on Education in Radiologic Technology (JRCERT) program is desired.
Mount Sinai Health System is an equal opportunity employer. We promote
recognition and respect for individual and cultural differences, and we work to
make our employees feel valued and appreciated, whatever their race, gender,
background, or sexual orientation.