Strength Through Diversity. Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
Director of Supply Chain and SAS Operational Excellence
Directs and exercises management responsibility over business and operational activities of a department, medical care unit or division.
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Provides administrative direction and coordination in the formulation, interpretation and administration of current and long range policies, procedures and programs.
- Oversees the daily operation of department. This may include creating and implementing production schedules, and/or tracking and reporting systems, managing the day to day workload of team members, as well as identifying and resolving issues that arise.
- Establishes goals and objectives for each department that are consistent with Mount Sinai Hospital or School of Medicines policies and federal, state and local regulations. This may include defining the scope of specific departmental projects, and analyzing requirements to execute those projects successfully.
- Plays a key role in the planning and implementation of facility supply chain management with an emphasis placed on the deployment of Lean methodology.
- Works with Corporate Director Materials Management to successfully implement Health System Supply Chain initiatives at assigned site, including but not limited to Qsight Implant Tracking and Jumptech Par Management Software Implementation, LUM Service Optimization, and Owens and Minor Distribution Services.
- Attends Monthly System Supply Chain Meetings and provides reporting on Supply Chain KPIs. Participates in System Supply Chain Workgroups as requested.
- Works with VP SAS and Corporate Director Materials to develop and implement strategic plan for Facility Materials Management.
- Defines and documents procedures, identifies process and workflow changes for continuous improvement and implements best practices for greater efficiency within department, unit or division. Provides process improvement assistance when needed, and evaluates and develops logical work flows where applicable.
- Collaborates with the division head or chairman to develop short term and long range plans. Also serves as primary point-of-contact for interdepartmental communications, where applicable, in order to maintain standards, implement improvements, define and measure progress and meet business objectives.
- Interprets and administers policies regarding hiring, payroll, appointments and promotions, placement and orientation of all faculty and/or staff.
- Reviews and approves all reclassifications, new positions and salary increases. Directs and coordinates the performance appraisal system for all faculty, professional staff and biweekly employees. Provides feedback on a regular basis. Identifies opportunities for continuing education and provides training. May design in house training materials and train employees when necessary.
- Provides oversight to management staff to ensure compliance with established practices, to implement new policies and to keep employees aware of changes and current standards.
- Assures compliance with regulatory, insurance and ethical standards regarding safety of patients, employees and property. Identifies contingency plans for potential risks.
- May be responsible for developing annual training schedules, and creating multi-disciplinary training curriculum throughout the Medical Center, if applicable, and is also responsible for maintaining records pertaining to those training sessions.
- Encourages collaboration among divisions to effectively coordinate and implement operational activities; facilitates and encourages effective communications across functional areas.
- May be responsible for creating, reviewing and/or updating institution- wide policies and procedures pertaining to department specific goals and objectives.
- Plans budget needs by analyzing short and long-term program plans. Collaborates with the Chief Financial Officer to assure the completion of the annual budget and subsequent monitoring of financial status of the department, unit or division.
- Assures the financial systems are in place to properly run the department. Ensures compliance with Mount Sinai West policies and procedures.
- Implements quality assurance programs and oversees monitoring activities to meet standards and regulations of accrediting agencies such as Joint Commission on the Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations (JCAHO), Commission of Accreditation Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF) and New York State and City Department of Health.
- Chairs department committees and participates in hospital committees as assigned.
- Under the direction of the VP of Support and Ancillary Services (SAS), partners with SAS leaders to support the Division performance improvement initiatives and to drive breakthrough improvements in operational quality and efficiency.
- Serves as a mentor and coach in Lean Strategy development, the deployment of Lean methodology, change management and problem solving for the SAS Division under the direction of the VP of SA
Bachelor’s Degree required, Master’s degree preferred. Lean or Six-Sigma Certification required. Certified Project Management Professional (PMP) preferred.
This position requires 7-10 years of experience that includes 3+ years of experience in health care administration and/or operations and 5+ years in facilitating Lean Transformation; Experience in strategic planning and execution, formulating policy, building and developing financial plans, managing resources and leading successful teams. Minimum of 5 years’ experience in Lean methods, tools, strategies and philosophies, including significant experience in VSMs and Rapid Improvement Events (Kaizen events), A3 thinking, Managing for Daily Improvement, 5S, Visual Management and Standard Work. 5+ years’ experience in facilitating Lean Transformation. Strong capability in data analytics, and ability to utilize data for problem solving and root cause analysis. Strong ability to drive work independently with limited direction. High comfort with ambiguity. Proven track record of achieving breakthrough results through implementation of large-scale projects and value-added change. Demonstrated competency in strategy deployment.
and Certification Requirements:
Microsoft Office - Advanced
General Skills and Competencies:
Planning and Organization - Understands performance goals and expectations, establishes priorities and works accordingly, demonstrates good follow-through, adheres to deadlines and keeps supervisor updated regarding work status and potential issues.
Productivity - Works effectively and efficiently, able to work on several things at once while maintaining expected productivity outcomes. Meets established productivity goals without sacrificing quality.
Organizational Understanding - Knowledgeable about regulations and policies affecting the organization and his or her specific job role. Understands how his/her job is connected to the larger mission and goals of the organization.
Ownership and Initiative - Is fully engaged and committed to the job. Assumes responsibility for tasks and/or projects without being asked. Seeks to resolve problems and suggests opportunities for improvement. Looks for additional ways to make a contribution/help a colleague.
Impact and Influence - Influences others positively through actions and words resulting in improved work environment, services, processes and/or systems.
Interpersonal Understanding - Understands the needs and feelings of others and uses this understanding to respond appropriately. Puts aside personal issues and responds professionally.
Resilience - Standard of work remains consistent even under pressure; demonstrates persistence, motivation and optimism when faced with challenges.
Customer Service Orientation - Understands and meets the needs of external and internal customers. Puts the customer at the center of services, systems and processes.
Retention and Talent Development - Takes an active role in retaining high-performing staff. Fosters a spirit of growth and development and supports staff participation in available internal and external educational resources.
Feedback - Communicates expectations of staff and provides regular, constructive and timely feedback throughout the year. Appropriately addresses performance issues. Develops and delivers effective Performance Appraisals.
Teamwork - Creates an environment that encourages staff to work together. Identifies issues impacting teamwork and works to resolve them.
Strength Through Diversity
The Mount Sinai Health System believes that diversity and inclusion is a driver for excellence. We share a common devotion to delivering exceptional patient care. Yet we’re as diverse as the city we call home- culturally, ethically, in outlook and lifestyle. When you join us, you become a part of Mount Sinai’s unrivaled record of achievement, education and advancement as we revolutionize healthcare delivery together.
We work hard to recruit and retain the best people, and to create a welcoming, nurturing work environment where you have the opportunity and support to develop professionally. We share the belief that all employees, regardless of job title or expertise, have an impact on quality patient care.
Explore more about this opportunity and how you can help us write a new chapter in our story!
Who We Are
Over 38,000 employees strong, the mission of the Mount Sinai Health System is to provide compassionate patient care with seamless coordination and to advance medicine through unrivaled education, research, and outreach in the many diverse communities we serve.
Formed in September 2013, The Mount Sinai Health System combines the excellence of the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai with seven premier hospitals, including Mount Sinai Beth Israel, Mount Sinai Brooklyn, The Mount Sinai Hospital, Mount Sinai Queens, Mount Sinai West (formerly Mount Sinai Roosevelt), Mount Sinai St. Luke’s, and New York Eye and Ear Infirmary of Mount Sinai.
The Mount Sinai Health System is an equal opportunity employer. We promote recognition and respect for individual and cultural differences, and we work to make our employees feel valued and appreciated, whatever their race, gender, background, or sexual orientation.