Strength Through Diversity
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
1. Under physiatrist supervision, provides occupational therapy services: conducts patient examination to evaluate cognitive abilities, sensation, balance, coordination, perceptual motor ability, and etc. for purpose of establishing parameters of patients disability and to formulate treatment plans.
2. Uses evaluation to establish treatment programs appropriate to individual patients including but not limited to strengthening exercises, balance and coordination activities, ADL/ transfers, training in accordance, and section departmental clinical policies and procedures.
3. Administers treatments to patients to improve or restore functions in accordance with prescriptions and results of patients evaluations; uses various types of equipment and modalities to improve functions; designs and fabricates adaptive equipment such as sling and splints to prevent deformity and increase functional ability. Instruct patients and their family in use of adaptive equipment.
4. Follows departmental policies and procedures regarding the completion of initial, interim and discharge summary reports. Countersigns all certified occupational therapy assistant documentation. As a member of the interdisciplinary team, provides information and feedback regarding patient’s initial status, reactions and response to treatment and discharge planning, as well as the completion of departmental statistical paperwork.
5. Collaborate with patients, families, and social services.
6. Assists in assuring that patients and staff, adhere to all departmental safety regulations including the surveillance of environmental conditions, the replacement of equipment to assigned areas, maintains equipment in good working order and notifies supervisor of need for equipment repair.
7. Maintains an appropriate quantity of supplies and informs supervisor as to supplies and equipment needs.
8. Provides clinical mentoring to the certified occupational therapy assistant.
9. Collects quality assurance and continuous quality improvement data as assigned by their supervisor.
10. Attendance at all departmental in-service sessions are required and actively plans and contributes to the departmental educational activities. Conducts or participates in training of other medical personnel regarding occupational therapy treatment, objectives and safety techniques. Attends outside seminars, conferences, and workshops for continued professional growth.
11. Following discussion with the Chief Occupational Therapist, will be responsible for the completion of their mutually agreed upon performance appraisal plans and goals.
12. Perform other job related/non-job related functions that may be necessary, as directed, in the direct/indirect patient category.
13. Remains informed of current trends in field by reviewing literature, data and attending conference or training programs in order to meet CME requirements.
- Job requires completion of NYS-approved and American Occupational Therapy Association- certified program for training of occupational therapists to acquire theoretical and practical and practical knowledge of evaluation and treatment of physical and psychosocial dysfunction, orthotics, prosthetics, and physiology at level normally attained via Bachelor’s Degree in occupational therapy.
New graduate may be eligible with 3 or more years experience in a healthcare organization either through employment or clinical rotations. Should have good/solid evaluation skills and treatment skills. Should be able to relate and interact with other staff, other disciplines, patients and their families or caregivers.
Manual dexterity required for adaptive manipulation and fabrication for adaptive equipment; physical strength necessary for lifting and proper handling or positioning of patients or for moving equipment.
- Should have a current Occupational Therapy Registration and certification, issued by the University of the State of New York Education Department, Office of the Professions.
- Should have current certification with National Board for Certification in Occupational Therapy, Inc.