Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
As an integral part of the hospital, the Admitting Clerk is responsible for the business aspects of a patient’s stay, as well as patient-focused service within the department. Responsibilities include: registration, insurance verification, up-dating financial information and demographic and maintaining census information and other duties.
- Actively greet patients, families and co-workers; smile, make eye contact and speak clearly in a friendly manner.
- Conducts face to face interviews with patients or their representatives to obtain demographic information and signatures on consents, insurance assignment of benefits and inputs information into the computer system.
- Verifies demographic information, emergency contact data and insurance coverage by interviewing patient/family/friend.
- Provides each patient with an information packet such as HIPPA, “Patients’ Bill of Rights” and other notices required by New York State law. Ensures such documents are readily available.
- Maintains census; demographic and charge information including assigning beds to incoming patients, updating this System and compiling information for charge capture and patient processing (Cerner/Epic/Bed board) and support of patient registration and order entry systems.
- Assists in the admission/discharge/transfer process
- Monitors patient throughput through the use of Agiletrac and communicates progress to Assistant Director of Nursing/Nursing staff
Work requires a high school level of knowledge (graduate or equivalent) in order to prepare reports, keep records and deal effectively with people.
Six to nine months of health care experience in order to become familiar with institutional policies and procedures preferred
Must be able to prepare reports and keep records.
Able to work with minimal supervision
The Mount Sinai Health System believes that diversity is a driver for excellence. We share a common devotion to delivering exceptional patient care. Yet we’re as diverse as the city we call home- culturally, ethically, in outlook and lifestyle. When you join us, you become a part of Mount Sinai’s unrivaled record of achievement, education and advancement as we revolutionize medicine together.
We work hard to acquire and retain the best people, and to create a welcoming, nurturing work environment where you can develop professionally. We share the belief that all employees, regardless of job title or expertise, can make an impact on quality patient care.
Explore more about this opportunity and how you can help us write a new chapter in our story!
Over 38,000 employees strong, the mission of the Mount Sinai Health System is to provide compassionate patient care with seamless coordination and to advance medicine through unrivaled education, research, and outreach in the many diverse communities we serve.
Formed in September 2013, The Mount Sinai Health System combines the excellence of the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai with seven premier hospital campuses, including Mount Sinai Beth Israel, Mount Sinai Beth Israel Brooklyn, The Mount Sinai Hospital, Mount Sinai Queens, Mount Sinai West (formerly Mount Sinai Roosevelt), Mount Sinai St. Luke’s, and New York Eye and Ear Infirmary of Mount Sinai.
The Mount Sinai Health System is an equal opportunity employer. We promote recognition and respect for individual and cultural differences, and we work to make our employees feel valued and appreciated, whatever their race, gender, background, or sexual orientation.