Mount Sinai Careers
Senior Ambulatory Surgery Coder
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
Senior Ambulatory Surgery Coder
Roles & Responsibilities:
Coding for Cardiac Catheterization and EPS services to improve quality of coding, documentation and to ensure accurate and complete capture of revenue.
- Determine coding levels by obtaining and reviewing clinical documentation.
- Compare and review charge tickets, both manually and system generated, to clinical documentation to ensure that all charges for procedures and supplies have been accurately captured.
- Ensure that documentation supports charges to prevent denials/underpayments
- Follow-up on missing charge tickets and clinical documentation as appropriate
- Identify documentation and revenue enhancement opportunities.
- Develop a working relationship with clinical staff to identify and implement appropriate Cath lab system modifications.
- Review and distribute coding related information to clinical staff, including CPT and ICD-9 code changes, medical necessity policies, coding /billing information regarding new procedures and devices.
- In conjunction with Director of Billing Integrity, identify relevant chargemaster updates.
- Responsible for resolving any coding related errors and denials that are identified by Hospital’s billing system as part of the revenue enhancement initiatives.
- Consults with frontline clinical staff to identify reimbursable indications for therapy.
- Continuous review of revenue cycle with Director of Billing Integrity and Director of Health Information Systems.
- Participate in education programs to maintain up to date coding skills.
- Knowledge of ICD-10 and CPT coding principles and medical terminology is essential
- Seven plus years of coding experience preferred. Several years of cardiac catheterization, EP and interventional cardiology coding is desired but alternate coding experience can be used as a substitute, preferably in a hospital setting
- Knowledge of facility based billing/reimbursement methodologies including APCs, as well as knowledge of federal, state and payer specific regulations and policies is needed.
- Exposure or participation in documentation improvement programs is helpful but not mandatory.
- Certification as RHIA, RHIT, CCS, CCS-P or any other coding related and nationally recognized designation is strongly preferred
- Excellent verbal and written communication and computer skills are essential
Strength Through Diversity
The Mount Sinai Health System believes that diversity is a driver for excellence. We share a common devotion to delivering exceptional patient care. Yet we’re as diverse as the city we call home- culturally, ethically, in outlook and lifestyle. When you join us, you become a part of Mount Sinai’s unrivaled record of achievement, education and advancement as we revolutionize medicine together.
We work hard to acquire and retain the best people, and to create a welcoming, nurturing work environment where you can develop professionally. We share the belief that all employees, regardless of job title or expertise, can make an impact on quality patient care.
Explore more about this opportunity and how you can help us write a new chapter in our story!
Who We Are
Over 38,000 employees strong, the mission of the Mount Sinai Health System is to provide compassionate patient care with seamless coordination and to advance medicine through unrivaled education, research, and outreach in the many diverse communities we serve.
Formed in September 2013, The Mount Sinai Health System combines the excellence of the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai with seven premier hospital campuses, including Mount Sinai Beth Israel, Mount Sinai Beth Israel Brooklyn, The Mount Sinai Hospital, Mount Sinai Queens, Mount Sinai West (formerly Mount Sinai Roosevelt), Mount Sinai St. Luke’s, and New York Eye and Ear Infirmary of Mount Sinai.
The Mount Sinai Health System is an equal opportunity employer. We promote recognition and respect for individual and cultural differences, and we work to make our employees feel valued and appreciated, whatever their race, gender, background, or sexual orientation.