Mount Sinai Careers
BILLING SPECIALIST - NEUROSURGERY
The Mount Sinai Health System
Do you have what it takes to wear the badge?
Billing Specialist (2129650) - Neurosurgery
The Mount Sinai Health System’s commitment to excellence extends beyond delivering world-class health care. The System’s ongoing success is dependent upon our highly motivated, nonclinical professionals working to improve business operations. Our leadership team is driven to provide exceptional service by cultivating a workforce that is dedicated to upholding Mount Sinai’s mission of delivering innovative, breakthrough medicine with compassion and integrity.
Are you ready to discover the world of limitless possibilities that comes with wearing the badge? Explore more about this opportunity and how you can help us write a new chapter in our story of unrivaled patient care!
The Billing Specialist is responsible for office, out-patient, and inpatient physician coding. S/He provides education regarding documentation requirements for improved quality of coding and to ensure accurate and complete capture of revenue.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for performing specialty coding for services and medical office visits.
- Validates and determines appropriate coding levels by obtaining and reviewing clinical documentation.
- Compares and reviews charge tickets, both manually and system generated, to clinical documentation to ensure that all charges for procedures and pharmacy items have been accurately documented and captured.
- Ensures that documentation supports charges to prevent denials/underpayments.
- Follows-up on missing charge tickets and clinical documentation as appropriate
- Assist with implementation of documentation and revenue enhancement opportunities.
- Collaborates with clinical staff to identify and implement appropriate documentation and coding modifications.
- Reviews and distributes coding related information to clinical staff, including CPT and ICD-9 code changes, medical necessity policies, coding /billing information regarding new procedures and pharmacy items.
- In conjunction with Sr. Billing Analyst, identify relevant charge master or fee updates.
- Responsible for resolving any coding related errors and denials that are identified by Hospital or Practice billing system as part of the revenue enhancement initiatives.
- Consults and provides feedback with frontline clinical staff and financial coordinators to identify reimbursable indications for treatment.
- Assists on reviews of revenue cycle with management and supervisor.
- Participates in education programs to maintain up to date coding skills.
- Participates with the Compliance Department in random chart audits to ensure appropriate documentation, coding and billing.
- Associates degree or HS Diploma/GED plus two years of related experience.
- Two years of experience in medical practice or outpatient coding.
- Medical practice business office or patient accounts experience a plus.
- Certified Professional Coder (CPC) preferred.
Do you share our dedication to extraordinary service and have what it takes to wear the badge? Apply now!
Over 35,000 employees strong, the mission of the Mount Sinai Health System is to provide compassionate patient care with seamless coordination and to advance medicine through unrivaled education, research, and outreach in the many diverse communities we serve.
Formed in September 2013, The Mount Sinai Health System combines the excellence of the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai with seven premier hospital campuses, including Mount Sinai Beth Israel, Mount Sinai Beth Israel Brooklyn, The Mount Sinai Hospital, Mount Sinai Queens, Mount Sinai West (formerly Mount Sinai Roosevelt), Mount Sinai St. Luke’s, and New York Eye and Ear Infirmary of Mount Sinai.
The Mount Sinai Health System is committed to the tenets of diversity and workforce that are strengthened by the inclusion of and respect for our differences. We offer our employees a highly competitive compensation and benefits package, a 403(b) retirement plan, and much more.
Mount Sinai Health System is an equal opportunity employer. We promote
recognition and respect for individual and cultural differences, and we work to
make our employees feel valued and appreciated, whatever their race, gender,
background, or sexual orientation.