Mount Sinai Careers
Specialty Coordinator, Nurse Practitioner - NP - Neurology - MSH
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. 1. Develops and implements a collaborative practice agreement in the specific clinical area and performs a periodic review of the collaborative agreement.
2. 2. Assesses the health status of patients/families by means of comprehensive health history and physical examination.
3. 3. Initiates selected comprehensive therapeutic and diagnostic procedures, consultations and laboratory examination, prescribes and alters medication regimens, interprets findings and alters plan of care according to the collaborative practice agreement and protocols in the designated area.
4. 4. Provides teaching and counseling in the areas of health promotion, maintenance, disease prevention and the management of acute/chronic illnesses.
5. 5. Documents findings and plan of care in the patient's medical record.
6. 6. Consults with physicians and members of the health care team as established in the collaborative practice agreement.
7. 7. Initiates referrals to specialty services and fosters continuity of care.
8. 8. Participates in team meetings and conferences to enhance an interdisciplinary approach to acute/primary health care delivery.
9. 9. Performs patient record review with the collaborating physician in a timely fashion, but not less than every three months.
10. Supports the mission, vision, philosophy and goals of the Department of Nursing and the Medical Center
11. Demonstrates accountability of own nursing practice.
12. Advocates for patients/families and supports patient rights.
13. Considers ethical issues of professional nursing practice and adheres to the code of ethics.
14. Demonstrates a humanistic, kind and caring attitude in the delivery of health care.
15. Incorporates research findings in clinical practice.
16. Participates in defining, maintaining and interpreting standards of nursing practice.
17. Contributes to the maintenance of a positive image of advanced practice nursing in the medical center and in the local community by the implementation of programs which recognize nursing as a profession.
18. Coordinates/manages a clinical program in collaboration with nursing and medical leadership.
19. Keeps knowledge current by self-directed learning, literature review and and attendance at educational programs.
Masters degree designed to provide a registered nurse to provide acute/primary health care services or the successful completion of an approved supplemental education program (i.e., post-Masters NP certificate).
Graduate of NYS Dept of Education Nurse Practitioner Program or equivalent OR certification as Nurse Practitioner by a national association via examination.
Completion of a pharmacy component of not less than the required semester hours or the equivalent AND has been instructed in NYS and Federal laws relating to prescriptions and record-keeping.
Has a collaborative practice agreement with a physician and designated protocols, filed with the NYS Dept of Education.
Previous progressive experience relevant to the area of clinical practice.