Mount Sinai Careers
Educational Specialist Full Time Days- MSH
Strength Through Diversity
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
Dept Name- Division of Nursing Education REQ #2187104
Job Title: Educational Specialist
Roles & Responsibilities:
What you will do:
coordinate, implement and evaluate educational and clinical initiatives for
designated areas/depts and/or units. Provide coordination and teaching
activities such as orientation, staff development programs, central nursing
orientation, unit-based specific in services, competency assessments for
1. Develops, teaches, coordinates and evaluates educational programs with full accountability.
2. Collaborates with clinical nurse manager/clinical coordinator to assess educational needs of staff, plan and provide continuous competency assessment of staff.
3. Provides clinical, educational and administrative resource to all levels of nursing personnel.
4. Develops and supports preceptors in their roles as appropriate.
5. Provides mentoring to students and staff.
6. Participates and promotes collegiality within the interdisciplinary health care system.
7. Communicates effectively with others and acknowledges effects of behavior on others.
8. Assumes preceptor responsibilities for newly hired Nursing Education staff, and as needed to facilitate role transition of new clinical staff members.
9. Participates in the clinical practices and educational programs for health care professionals/students.
10. Utilizes standards, policies and procedures as appropriate resources.
11. Serves as program leader/facilitator for assigned educational resources.
12. Participates in continuous quality performance improvement processes within the Nursing Department.
13. Maintains records of educational programs.
14. Identifies problems, issues, safety, and practice concerns in the clinical area and initiates chain of command.
15. Acts as change agent for new initiatives and programs.
16. Supports the mission, vision, philosophy, and goals of the Department of Nursing and the Medical Center.
17. Maintains clinical expertise in area of specialization.
18. Participates in nursing research activities and utilizes same in clinical practice/educational initiatives.
19. Considers ethical issues of professional nursing practice and adheres to the code of ethics.
20. Demonstrates a humanistic, kind and caring attitude in the delivery of health care.
21. Chairs and/or participates in Department of Nursing and Medical Center committees.
22. Serves as a professional resource to other members of the interdisciplinary health care team.
23. Treats co-workers, patients and families with dignity and respect.
24. Is open and responsive to the diverse backgrounds and experience of other people, and promotes an environment that is sensitive to cultural diversity.
25. Attends and participates in conferences and seminars.
What you will bring:
NYS RN and Master’s Degree in nursing required and at least 3 years of related nursing experience - 1 year in a teaching or leadership position preferred. National nursing certification highly desirable.
Strength Through Diversity
The Mount Sinai Health System believes that diversity is a driver for excellence. We share a common devotion to delivering exceptional patient care. Yet we’re as diverse as the city we call home- culturally, ethically, in outlook and lifestyle. When you join us, you become a part of Mount Sinai’s unrivaled record of achievement, education and advancement as we revolutionize medicine together.
We work hard to acquire and retain the best people, and to create a welcoming, nurturing work environment where you can develop professionally. We share the belief that all employees, regardless of job title or expertise, can make an impact on quality patient care.
Explore more about this opportunity and how you can help us write a new chapter in our story!
Who We Are
Over 38,000 employees strong, the mission of the Mount Sinai Health System is to provide compassionate patient care with seamless coordination and to advance medicine through unrivaled education, research, and outreach in the many diverse communities we serve.
Formed in September 2013, The Mount Sinai Health System combines the excellence of the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai with seven premier hospital campuses, including Mount Sinai Beth Israel, Mount Sinai Beth Israel Brooklyn, The Mount Sinai Hospital, Mount Sinai Queens, Mount Sinai West (formerly Mount Sinai Roosevelt), Mount Sinai St. Luke’s, and New York Eye and Ear Infirmary of Mount Sinai.
The Mount Sinai Health System is an equal opportunity employer. We promote recognition and respect for individual and cultural differences, and we work to make our employees feel valued and appreciated, whatever their race, gender, background, or sexual orientation.