Mount Sinai Careers
MID-SENIOR LEVEL BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT & LICENSING PROFESSIONAL - MOUNT SINAI INNOVATION PARTNERS
The Mount Sinai Health System
Do you have what it takes to wear the badge?
The Mount Sinai Health System’s commitment to excellence extends beyond delivering world-class health care. The System’s ongoing success is dependent upon our highly motivated, nonclinical professionals working to improve business operations. Our leadership team is driven to provide exceptional service by cultivating a workforce that is dedicated to upholding Mount Sinai’s mission of delivering innovative, breakthrough medicine with compassion and integrity.
Are you ready to discover the world of limitless possibilities that comes with wearing the badge? Explore more about this opportunity and how you can help us write a new chapter in our story of unrivaled patient care!
We are seeking an experienced business development professional for a senior hands-on role with the Business Development and Licensing Team at Mount Sinai Innovation Partners (‘MSIP’). The individual who sits in this role is a trusted business advisor to Mount Sinai’s investigators and inventors and will direct the scientific and commercial evaluation of promising new technology disclosures, craft strategic national and international patent strategies and marketing plans, and actively engage with the commercial marketplace to help ensure that innovative therapeutics are made available to our worldwide patient population and become the new standard of care. The position reports directly to the of the Managing Director of Business Development and Licensing and works collaboratively with the Patent and Contracts teams and may mentor and develop the other Business Development personnel, such as Business Development Managers (BDM) and Business Development Analysts (BDA). The individual in this role develops strong relationships and networks, influences decisions, thinks strategically and executes good deals to deliver the right asset to the right partner at the right time.
- Thoroughly understands the commercial value and market positioning of a technology, and directs identification of commercial partners and marketing strategies
- Scouts internal research programs to identify opportunities, educates and influences inventors on how to get to the next commercial value inflection point, to facilitate deal making of de-risked assets
- Develops and commercializes technologies from any scientific discipline and is comfortable synthesizing and understanding large quantities of data and information.
- Effectively manages a large portfolio of diverse intellectual property assets across the full-life cycle of technology management
- Understands early product research and development process.
- Actively supports and consults with Mount Sinai Health System (MSHS) inventors re: their technology development efforts
- Has a deep and comprehensive understanding of patent law and prosecution strategy and, collaborates closely with the Patent Team to develop and direct the execution of the agreed-to patent strategy.
- Determines Fair Market Value (FMV) of technologies and identifies, sources and evaluates potential commercial partners; including start-up and internal or external investment opportunities.
- Drafts term sheets of financial and non-financial commercial terms as well as drafts and edits agreements of all types and complexities and is comfortable leading deal team negotiations of all types and complexities.
- Directs alliances on an ad hoc basis with key commercial partners in collaboration with MSIP’s Alliance Management team.
- Oversees complex and contentious post-deal compliance matters, especially: reporting obligations, due diligence in collaboration with MSIP’s Finance & Operation team.
- Is dedicated to effective and timely deal closing that created win-win situations and positions MSHS assets for success and value maximization
- Establishes, maintains and grows an active network with industry contacts; strives to be the preferred partner.
- Enhances organizational reputation by recognizing when to seek support by taking ownership of actions exploring new opportunities and navigating diverse stakeholder interests.
- Recommends and/or evaluates candidates for hire.
- Seek to advance job knowledge through active participation in conferences, lectures and other career specific networking events.
- Interfaces with senior executives and decision makers in the pharma, biotech, and legal industries as a visible representative of the Health System.
- The senior level position within the Business Development and Licensing Team has responsibility and accountability for legal fees and investments for patent application and prosecution and commercial deal-making.
- May be responsible for the supervision of Business Development Managers, Analysts and Interns.
- Performs other related duties as assigned, including: recruiting and developing the team.
- Masters of Life Science required; PhD, preferred
- MBA or JD, a plus
- 7 years of experience in the pharmaceutical, biotechnology, or academic healthcare sectors;
- Relevant post-doc work experience may be considered
- Track record of successful negotiations and executed deals
- Occasional travel may be required.
- Excellent scientific, legal and business skills
- Sound judgment and critical thinking
- Influence in demanding situations using scientific, legal and/or industry knowledge
- Networking, with both internal (Mount Sinai) and external (industry) clients
- Expertise in current market conditions and trends for patents and commercial licensing agreements, especially for biomedical inventions
- Functions well as a contributor to interdisciplinary groups party-to the protection, evaluation, partnering and commercialization of intellectual property
- Proven ability to establish and sustain effective partnerships
- Proven ability to communicate in a clear and concise manner
- Ability to effectively juggle multiple competing priorities
- Ability to work in a virtual office setting as well as regular office environment.
Do you share our dedication to extraordinary service and have what it takes to wear the badge? Apply now!
Over 35,000 employees strong, the mission of the Mount Sinai Health System is to provide compassionate patient care with seamless coordination and to advance medicine through unrivaled education, research, and outreach in the many diverse communities we serve.
Formed in September 2013, The Mount Sinai Health System combines the excellence of the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai with seven premier hospital campuses, including Mount Sinai Beth Israel, Mount Sinai Beth Israel Brooklyn, The Mount Sinai Hospital, Mount Sinai Queens, Mount Sinai Roosevelt, Mount Sinai St. Luke’s, and New York Eye and Ear Infirmary of Mount Sinai.
The Mount Sinai Health System is committed to the tenets of diversity and workforce that are strengthened by the inclusion of and respect for our differences. We offer our employees a highly competitive compensation and benefits package, a 403(b)-retirement plan, and much more.
The Mount Sinai Health System is an equal opportunity employer. We promote recognition and respect for individual and cultural differences, and we work to make our employees feel valued and appreciated, whatever their race, gender, background, or sexual orientation.