Mount Sinai Careers
Per Diem Operating Room Technician
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
Dept Name- REQ # 2225292
Job Title: Per Diem Operating Room Technician
Roles & Responsibilities:
The Per Diem Operating
Room Technician is an individual with knowledge and expertise in operating room
technology. This employee is responsible
for assisting in the performance of routine and delegated functions, under the
direct supervision of the Registered Professional Nurse.
- Applies principles and practices of asepsis; performs surgical scrub, gowning, and gloving procedure.
- Sets up sterile instrument table and prepares supplies according to type of operation. Assists in draping of patient and operative area according to need.
- Assists and anticipates needs of surgeon for instruments, sutures, sponges, and supplies according to knowledge of procedural requirements and constant monitoring of progress. Observes patient and is prepared for emergencies.
- Maintains correct count of sponges, needles, and instruments with circulating nurse and report correctness of discrepancies according to established policy and procedure. Maintains and monitors aseptic technique at all times and institute corrective measures in the event of contamination.
- Assists in care, handling and disposition of specimen according to policy. Assists in application of dressings, and in securing drainage systems. Assists in moving patient to appropriate receptacle, decontaminate all equipment, instruments, and reusable supplies and clean room as prescribed.
- Education: High School diploma required. Courses in operating room technology, science, biology and chemistry preferred.
- Certification in Operating Room Technology preferred.
- Experience: Prefer experience in operating room setting.
- Ability to read, write, understands and speaks English in a clear and concise manner.
- Visual and aural acuity to assess patients within parameters of job responsibilities.
- Communication and interpersonal skills to work effectively with a wide variety of individuals. Oriented to consumer satisfaction.
Strength Through Diversity
The Mount Sinai Health System believes that diversity is a driver for excellence. We share a common devotion to delivering exceptional patient care. Yet we’re as diverse as the city we call home- culturally, ethically, in outlook and lifestyle. When you join us, you become a part of Mount Sinai’s unrivaled record of achievement, education and advancement as we revolutionize medicine together.
We work hard to acquire and retain the best people, and to create a welcoming, nurturing work environment where you can develop professionally. We share the belief that all employees, regardless of job title or expertise, can make an impact on quality patient care.
Explore more about this opportunity and how you can help us write a new chapter in our story!
Who We Are
Over 38,000 employees strong, the mission of the Mount Sinai Health System is to provide compassionate patient care with seamless coordination and to advance medicine through unrivaled education, research, and outreach in the many diverse communities we serve.
Formed in September 2013, The Mount Sinai Health System combines the excellence of the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai with seven premier hospital campuses, including Mount Sinai Beth Israel, Mount Sinai Beth Israel Brooklyn, The Mount Sinai Hospital, Mount Sinai Queens, Mount Sinai West (formerly Mount Sinai Roosevelt), Mount Sinai St. Luke’s, and New York Eye and Ear Infirmary of Mount Sinai.
The Mount Sinai Health System is an equal opportunity employer. We promote recognition and respect for individual and cultural differences, and we work to make our employees feel valued and appreciated, whatever their race, gender, background, or sexual orientation.