Mount Sinai Careers
Please enter a valid email.
Unfortunately, our network is not responding. Please try again later.
Your job alert was successfully created.
PATHOLOGY GROSSING SPECIALIST III - Department of Pathology
Pathology Grossing Specialist III - 2243358
Do you have what it takes to wear the badge?
The Mount Sinai Health System’s commitment to excellence extends beyond delivering world-class health care. The System’s ongoing success is dependent upon our highly motivated, nonclinical professionals working to improve business operations. Our leadership team is driven to provide exceptional service by cultivating a workforce that is dedicated to upholding Mount Sinai’s mission of delivering innovative, breakthrough medicine with compassion and integrity.
Are you ready to discover the world of limitless possibilities that comes with wearing the badge? Explore more about this opportunity and how you can help us write a new chapter in our story of unrivaled patient care!
Grossing Specialist III receives specimens, documents the macroscopic
descriptions and prepares moderate to high complexity surgical pathology
specimens for processing.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Receives specimens for diagnostic purposes
- Analyzes, grossly describes and dissects moderate to high complexity pathology specimens
- Obtains clinical history, lab data, x-rays and scans as appropriate
- Describes gross features of surgical specimens and prepares tissues for processing for light microscopy
- Coordinates and/or performs gross description and dissection of surgical specimens and postmortem examinations
- Coordinates Frozen Section Room activities; assists in the Frozen Section Room
- Performs special procedures including frozen section slide preparation and triage of tissue for tumor bank and appropriate studies
- Assists the pathologist in the preparation and performance of human postmortem examination. Assures that all specimens are accurately accessioned
- Performs other related duties, including maintenance of surgical/autopsy pathology protocols
- Interprets physician instructions written on test requisition that is accompanying the specimens
- Retrieves biopsy specimen containers for quality control issues
- Collates bottles according to procedures for storage purposes
- Maintains cleanliness of grossing area
- Ensures accountability of each specimen container grossed
- Exercises safety precautions
- Performs related duties
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree with Biology and / or Anatomy credits
- Five years of experience in grossing moderate to high complexity surgical pathology specimens
- Exerts up to 10-15 lbs of force
- Must be able to work in an area where dead bodies or body parts are kept/examined
- Must meet the general requirements of the Medical Center as defined in Personnel
- Maintain a neat and orderly appearance and be punctual in attendance
- Follows the policies of Medical Center
- Works with and handles Biohazard (TB, HIV, Hepatitis, etc) and toxic chemicals
- Tolerates allowable limit of chemical odor
- Follows written and verbal instruction accurately and with good judgment
- Learns new procedures as required
- Maintains orderliness and cleanliness in working area
- Clinical Laboratory Technologist
Do you share our dedication to extraordinary service and have what it takes to wear the badge? Apply now!
Over 35,000 employees strong, the mission of the Mount Sinai Health System is to provide compassionate patient care with seamless coordination and to advance medicine through unrivaled education, research, and outreach in the many diverse communities we serve.
Formed in September 2013, The Mount Sinai Health System combines the excellence of the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai with seven premier hospital campuses, including Mount Sinai Beth Israel, Mount Sinai Beth Israel Brooklyn, The Mount Sinai Hospital, Mount Sinai Queens, Mount Sinai West (formerly Mount Sinai Roosevelt), Mount Sinai St. Luke’s, and New York Eye and Ear Infirmary of Mount Sinai.
The Mount Sinai Health System is committed to the tenets of diversity and workforce that are strengthened by the inclusion of and respect for our differences. We offer our employees a highly competitive compensation and benefits package, a 403(b) retirement plan, and much more.
The Mount Sinai Health System is an equal opportunity employer. We promote recognition and respect for individual and cultural differences, and we work to make our employees feel valued and appreciated, whatever their race, gender, background, or sexual orientation.