Mount Sinai Careers
PROCEDURAL BILLING SPECIALIST I - PEDIATRICS
Do you have what it takes to wear the badge?
The Mount Sinai Health System’s commitment to excellence extends beyond delivering world-class health care. The System’s ongoing success is dependent upon our highly motivated, nonclinical professionals working to improve business operations. Our leadership team is driven to provide exceptional service by cultivating a workforce that is dedicated to upholding Mount Sinai’s mission of delivering innovative, breakthrough medicine with compassion and integrity.
Are you ready to discover the world of limitless possibilities that comes with wearing the badge? Explore more about this opportunity and how you can help us write a new chapter in our story of unrivaled patient care!
The Procedural Billing Specialist I is responsible for multiple components of the complex coding process for specialized procedures, including Accounts Receivable, Charge Entry, Edits and Payment Posting. The person in this role will facilitate claims processing and payments services rendered by physicians. The Billing Specialist will assists with responses to problems or questions regarding benefit eligibility and reimbursement procedures due to medical necessity. He/she coordinates activities related to data entry of billing. Also, demonstrates proficiency in analysis and problem resolution to ensure accurate and timely coding of claims and collection. The Billing Specialist works directly with the Department Administrator and reports to Billing Manager/Revenue Cycle Manager.
- Manages and accurately codes outpatient encounters diagnosis, procedures and/or modifiers that are supported by the health record in accordance using ICD-10-CM/PCS, CPT and HCPCS coding conventions.
- Abstracts, codes and assigns necessary demographic and clinical data elements required for outpatient records into Epic EMR.
- Performs specialized coding services for outpatient medical office visits and infusion services. Reviews physician coding and provide updates.
- Queries and/or submits request to the physician for additional information or clarification of diagnoses, co-morbid/secondary conditions, and procedures. Assures coding practices fall within established compliance guidelines.
- Assists with reviews of billing denials from reference labs and other sources.
- Audits medical records to ensure proper coding completed and to ensure compliance with federal and state regulatory bodies.
- Maintains compliance standards in accordance with the Compliance policies and the Code of Conduct. Reports compliance problems appropriately. Reviews encounter forms for accuracy.
- Posts necessary charge codes for billing in Eagle. Runs and works missing charges, edits, denial lists and processes appeals.
- Provides comprehensive pre-billing management to facilitate cash flow. Tracks, quantifies and reports on denied claims.
- Directs and assists with responses to problems or questions regarding medical necessity for ordered drugs and procedures.
- Analyzes claims system reports to ensure underpayments are correctly identified and collected from key carriers. Reviews and resolves billing issues with medical necessity and provides recommendations.
- Meets with practice management, leadership and/or physicians on a scheduled basis to review current billing and coding concerns.
- Mentors less experienced coding and billing staff and assists Billing Manager/Revenue Cycle Manager in staff training.
- Maintains a thorough understanding of medical terminology through participation in continuing education programs to effectively apply ICD-10-CM/PCS, CPT and HCPCS coding guidelines to inpatient and outpatient diagnoses and procedures.
- Other duties as assigned
- Associates Degree or high school diploma/GED
- Certification: CPC strongly preferred
- 5 years experience in medical billing or health claims, with experience in IDX billing systems in a health care or insurance environment, and familiarity with ICD/CPT coding.
- Excellent organizational skills
Do you share our dedication to extraordinary service and have what it takes to wear the badge? Apply now!
Over 35,000 employees strong, the mission of the Mount Sinai Health System is to provide compassionate patient care with seamless coordination and to advance medicine through unrivaled education, research, and outreach in the many diverse communities we serve.
Formed in September 2013, The Mount Sinai Health System combines the excellence of the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai with seven premier hospital campuses, including Mount Sinai Beth Israel, Mount Sinai Beth Israel Brooklyn, The Mount Sinai Hospital, Mount Sinai Queens, Mount Sinai West (formerly Mount Sinai Roosevelt), Mount Sinai St. Luke’s, and New York Eye and Ear Infirmary of Mount Sinai.
The Mount Sinai Health System is committed to the tenets of diversity and workforce that are strengthened by the inclusion of and respect for our differences. We offer our employees a highly competitive compensation and benefits package, a 403(b) retirement plan, and much more.
The Mount Sinai Health System is an
equal opportunity employer. We promote recognition and respect for individual
and cultural differences, and we work to make our employees feel valued and
appreciated, whatever their race, gender, background, or sexual orientation.