Mount Sinai Careers
Please enter a valid email.
Unfortunately, our network is not responding. Please try again later.
Your job alert was successfully created.
DATA SCIENTIST - SCIENTIFIC COMPUTING
The Mount Sinai Health System
Do you have what it takes to wear the badge?
The Mount Sinai Health System’s commitment to excellence extends beyond delivering world-class health care. The System’s ongoing success is dependent upon our highly motivated, nonclinical professionals working to improve business operations. Our leadership team is driven to provide exceptional service by cultivating a workforce that is dedicated to upholding Mount Sinai’s mission of delivering innovative, breakthrough medicine with compassion and integrity.
Are you ready to discover the world of limitless possibilities that comes with wearing the badge? Explore more about this opportunity and how you can help us write a new chapter in our story of unrivaled patient care!
The Data Scientist for Scientific Computing has the over-arching goal of accelerating transitional research and improving clinical care.
The incumbent will support, analyze, design and deliver major systems and technologies including Sinai specific and NIH funded national resources and research projects in high performance computing, and data warehousing, utilizing a thorough understanding of available technology, tools and best practices.
- Partners with researchers and clinicians to identify and specify complex scientific data requirements and workflow for research projects
- Develops and proposes technology and biomedical informatics solutions through the analysis and selection of computing environment, off-the-shelf or custom software, hardware, technologies and tools, etc.
- Creates, identifies, and hardens approaches using modern software tools for data analytic needs including machine learning, natural language processing, semantic ontologies, visual data analytics and data mining algorithms to meet the needs of the researchers and clinicians
- Manages the overall technical progress and deliverables for major national and regional projects and data sharing initiatives such as the Data Submission and Repository portal of the NIEHS-funded national Children’s Health Exposure Analysis Resource (CHEAR), i2b2, and the data submissions and study support for the NYC Clinical Data Research Network (CDRN) and similar projects
- Helps to develop a vision and implementation plan to link disparate data sources including EPIC EMR, biobank data, REDCAP data, omics data, etc. throughout Mount Sinai for effective use by the researchers
- Helps to develop a vision and implementation plan to link disparate data sources nationwide
- Performs analysis of various disparate data sources, in order to determine their interrelation and how best to integrate and leverage them for research and quality purposes
- Supports the data-related needs of the clinical researchers and clinicians. Queries and analyzes clinical data, and determines how best to present, visualize and store data results. Assists with advanced data analysis
- Researches and evaluates alternative technical and process solutions, based on best practices and recommends the most efficient and cost effective solutions for data infrastructure and/or workflow design
- Provides highly technical consulting and leadership in identifying and implementing new uses of information technologies for research
- Performs related duties as assigned or requested
- Ph.D. in Computer Science, Biomedical Informatics or a related discipline, or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Experience with the following:
- Computational Science, Statistical Programming, Biomedical Informatics, Natural Language Processing (NLP), Machine Learning
- Medical Ontologies and Semantics
- Visual data analytics
- Data Stores – Traditional Relational (Oracle, MS SQL PostgreSQL, MySQL, etc.), NoSQL (MongoDB, Cosmos DB, DyanmoDB, Cassandra, etc.) and others (Redis, ElasticSearch, etc.)
- Clustered Computing Frameworks (Spark, Hadoop, Azure HDInsight, AWS Elastic Map Reduce, Kafka, etc.)
- Cloud Computing and Data Lake concepts (MS Azure, AWS)
- Modern programming & scripting languages (Python, R, Scala, Java, etc.)
- Real world Healthcare, Electronic Medical Records, and/or Biomedical Informatics data knowledge strongly preferred
- Experience in a healthcare environment preferred
Over 35,000 employees strong, the mission of the Mount Sinai Health System is to provide compassionate patient care with seamless coordination and to advance medicine through unrivaled education, research, and outreach in the many diverse communities we serve.
Formed in September 2013, The Mount Sinai Health System combines the excellence of the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai with seven premier hospital campuses, including Mount Sinai Beth Israel, Mount Sinai Beth Israel Brooklyn, The Mount Sinai Hospital, Mount Sinai Queens, Mount Sinai Roosevelt, Mount Sinai St. Luke’s, and New York Eye and Ear Infirmary of Mount Sinai.
The Mount Sinai Health System is committed to the tenets of diversity and workforce that are strengthened by the inclusion of and respect for our differences. We offer our employees a highly competitive compensation and benefits package, a 403(b) savings plan, and much more.
The Mount Sinai Health System is an equal opportunity employer. We promote recognition and respect for individual and cultural differences, and we work to make our employees feel valued and appreciated, whatever their race, gender, background, or sexual orientation.