Mount Sinai Careers
BROOKLYN HEIGHTS PHLEBOTOMIST - TEMPORARY
Mount Sinai Health System Careers
Do you have what it takes to wear the badge?
Our multidisciplinary approach to patient care defines us as an organization. Contributing to our world-renowned reputation is the dedication of allied health professionals. Working collaboratively with nurses and physicians, our allied health providers are valued partners providing diagnostic and therapeutic extensions of care on a daily basis. Mount Sinai’s allied health team members work side-by-side with global leaders in health care to create a patient-focused network of services that support healing in our local communities and around the globe.
Are you ready to discover the world of limitless possibilities that comes with wearing the badge? Explore more about this opportunity and how you can help us write a new chapter in our story of unrivaled patient care!
What You’ll Do:
The Phlebotomist performs procedures requiring an understanding of, and skills in, the procurement of laboratory specimens directly from the patient, such as blood and urine for laboratory analysis.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Verifies Patient ID by the patient's date of birth (DOB) before beginning the accessioning process.
- Screens requisition information including correct tests, tubes and lab as required by the insurer.
- Verifies patient Identity by asking the patient's date of birth before venipuncture.
- Explains the procedure to the patient.
- Assesses veins and considers the patients preference, if any.
- Collects blood and other specimens in accordance with all Universal Precautions.
- Proficient to draw blood from all patients (Pediatrics, Geriatrics).
- Instructs patient in 'special collection specimens (i.e. 24 hour urine collection).
- Communicates delays effectively when necessary.
- Ensures that an adequate stock of supplies is available at all times.
- Maintains a neat and orderly work station at all times.
- Performs other duties as assigned by Lead Laboratory Technologist.
- Prepares specimen to be sent out as needed.
- Basic computer knowledge necessary for accessioning and retrieving specimens.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma/GED.
- Basic computer skills.
- Phlebotomy Certification preferred
- 2 years of experience in phlebotomy
- Ability to communicate effectively with multicultural and language-deficit patients
Do you share our dedication to extraordinary service and have what it takes to wear the badge? Apply now!
Over 35,000 employees strong, the mission of the Mount Sinai Health System is to provide compassionate patient care with seamless coordination and to advance medicine through unrivaled education, research, and outreach in the many diverse communities we serve.
Formed in September 2013, The Mount Sinai Health System combines the excellence of the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai with seven premier hospital campuses, including Mount Sinai Beth Israel, Mount Sinai Beth Israel Brooklyn, The Mount Sinai Hospital, Mount Sinai Queens, Mount Sinai West (formerly Mount Sinai Roosevelt), Mount Sinai St. Luke’s, and New York Eye and Ear Infirmary of Mount Sinai.
The Mount Sinai Health System is committed to the tenets of diversity and workforce that are strengthened by the inclusion of and respect for our differences. We offer our employees a highly competitive compensation and benefits package, a 403(b) retirement plan, and much more.
The Mount Sinai Health
System is an equal opportunity employer. We promote recognition and
respect for individual and cultural differences, and we work to make our
employees feel valued and appreciated, whatever their race, gender, background,
or sexual orientation.