Mount Sinai Careers
Patient Liaison International Services - (Mount Sinai Hospital) EXECUTIVE SERVICES Days
Strength Through Diversity
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
EXECUTIVE SERVICES - 2274708
- Collaborates with all stakeholders (ex: physician, patient financial services, professional billing) to ensure estimates and billing for international patients are done timely and accurately.
- Exercises discretionary judgement in formulating estimates when limited patient information is available and ensures that quoted estimates are market competitive.
- Notifies and submits the estimate of charge summary as well as payment terms to the account Guarantor.
- Ensures that payment is received from all incoming international patients for financial approval with hospital finance.
- Works closely with all payers and representatives to ensure billing format is updated and claims are submitted in a timely manner per protocols.
- Interfaces with international third party payors including international health insurance companies, international corporations, non-governmental organizations and foreign government representatives. Exercises discretion to accept or reject a letter of guarantee of payment issued by these entities if it does not comply with approval guidelines.
- Reviews account activity to date and verifies that appreciate steps have been taken to resolve outstanding balances.
- Validates payments from payers documenting any variance and processes re-billing or adjustments, as necessary, for each account.
- Prepares customized final billing summary for patients describing the hospital and professional services rendered.
- Processes payments by cash, check, or credit card with Cashier and ensures proper deposit of funds and receipts to appropriate parties. Maintains communication line with Patient Accounting for Bad Debt referrals and issues with payers.
- Maintains communication with administrative, clinical and support personnel to ensure services requested compliment clinical care plan. Communicates schedule to patient/customer and other health care providers, as appropriate.
- Verifies visit details with the patient or family prior to receiving treatment or services.
- Provides excellent customer service to customers.
- Analyzes daily reports prepared especially for International Patient Services to ensure that all patients handled by the Department are appropriately reflected.
- Schedule patient follow-up appointment(s) as needed. Provides patient with guidelines for requesting medical records and other paperwork.
- Some travel required to embassies, consulates, missions, and other referral sources to submit or review outstanding invoices.
- Performs duties in accordance with Mount Sinai entity values, policies, and procedures.
- Perform other duties assigned by manager or supervisor.
- Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in healthcare, business administration or accounting.
- Minimum 2 + years in progressively responsible positions in billing operations and accounts receivable, preferably with multicultural patients and organizations.
- Must be able to adeptly handle patients of different ethnic, religious, and other backgrounds in a congenial and service-oriented fashion
- Ability to use Microsoft Office (Excel, Power Point, Word) required
- Understanding of HIPAA standards and patient privacy regulations required
- Demonstrated ability to deal with confidential information required
- Demonstrated analytical skills required
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment with changing priorities
- Self-actualized and strong interpersonal skills working across many cultures
- Proficiency in one or more foreign languages preferred.