Mount Sinai Careers
Please enter a valid email.
Unfortunately, our network is not responding. Please try again later.
Your job alert was successfully created.
Physician Assistant 2 - PA - PACU - Day Shift - MSH
Strength Through Diversity
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
We are looking to hire Physicians Assistants interested in caring for postoperative patients in the Post Anesthesia Care Units and postsurgical floors. In particular we are focusing on complex patients and those who have undergone complex procedures due to their higher risk for acute and subacute hemodynamic and physiologic instability, as well as potential delirium and encephalopathy during the early postoperative period. Teamwork with Anesthesiologists, surgeons from multiple specialties, Intensivists, neurologists, psychiatrists, nursing and administrative staff will be important skills to use in this position. Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to communicate during unstable situations, competency to assist and, or place arterial and central venous lines are requisite skills.
· Perform history and physical (countersignature by the supervising physician is required for all anesthesia services)
· Perform or assist in the performance of routine perioperative laboratory and patient screening procedures
· Assist in the performance of perioperative procedures such as arterial line placement, central line placement, regional or neuraxial blocks
· Perform patient rounds with supervising physician/physician of record
· Perform Confusion Assessment Method exams, and other use other diagnostic tools pertinent to postoperative patients
· Provide patient education and counseling covering e.g., health status, test results, disease processes and discharge planning
· Make coherent and summative entries into the medical record
· Evaluate changes in patient conditions and bring to the immediate attention of a physician any change requiring alteration of the current treatment plan
· Assist the supervising physician/physician of record in the perioperative settings with the following: reviewing treatment plans; ordering diagnostic laboratory and radiological services; ordering therapies (using procedures reviewed and approved by the licensed physician)
· Write orders for medications (including controlled substances) and IV fluids.
· Remove IV catheters
· Perform venipuncture (including placement of intravenous catheters and central venous catheters)
· Perform arterial puncture (including placement of intra-arterial catheters)
· Insert nasogastric or oro-gastric tubes
Graduate of an accredited Physician Assistant Program
Graduate from an ARC-PA (Accreditation Review Commission on Education for the Physician Assistant) program, or equivalent as approved by the New York State Education Department. (Additional education/experience may be required for some specialty areas).
Current certification by the National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants
Current licensure to practice as a Physician Assistant issued by the NYS Board of Medicine
Current unrestricted DEA certificate for mid-level providers. (Full schedule: 2, 2N, 3, 3N, 4, 5)
NYS Mandated Infection Control Course Certificate (renewable every four years)
Current BLS and ACLS certification (for all Departments other than Pediatrics)\
Current BLS and PALS certification is required for all Physician Assistants working within the Department of Pediatrics. For Physician Assistants working in the public school system through the Mount Sinai Hospital Adolescent Health Center, only BLS certification is required.
2 years experience.
1. Physician Assistant