Mount Sinai Careers
Data Science Analyst III - Population Health - Mount Sinai Health Partners
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
Mount Sinai, one of the leading US health systems with a top-ranked academic medical center, medical school and faculty practice is accelerating a transition to a business model based on population health by launching Mount Sinai Health Partners (MSHP), a new 350+ employee team dedicated to making Mount Sinai the best population health manager in New York.
MSHP is realizing this new objective in two ways. First, we engage in value-based contracts with health plans. Using analytical insights, we deploy our clinical programs to improve the health of attributed populations and maximize customer value. Second, we assemble our clinical services into 3 new product offerings – specialty care bundles, worksite clinics, and insurance products in partnership with payers.
To support these strategies, we are hiring an analytics team comprised of talented analysts and data scientists that are passionate about developing a true system of care that creates value for our customers and patients.
- You will design and implement data-driven insights to enable value-based contracts and commercial offerings. You will support the contract lifecycle from initial development and planning, through pre-sale and implementation, to reconciliation.
- During planning phase: analyze variance to identify opportunities and risks; develop pro-forma scenario models of contracts and terms; create reports to guide negotiations with prospects
- During implementation: forecast performance results and support client-specific areas of interest
- During reconciliation: measure performance of our products across financial, patient satisfaction, and quality outcomes. Apply performance evaluation that fulfills contract terms and, when appropriate, the demands of rigorous outcomes research methodology.
- Work with departmental staff to identify requirements for reporting and / or business intelligence tools.
- Identify necessary data and methodologies; collect, integrate, analyze and interpret data.
- Leverage advanced statistical analysis methods to create insightful recommendations and conclusions that you effectively communicate to your stakeholders.
- Identify and address expected and unforeseen data complexities to mitigate their impact on the analytic outcome and associated business decisions. Clearly communicate data issues to the recipients and work to improve data quality where possible within the analytical models you create. Feed data quality issues back to IT to assist in our quest for high quality data.
- Develop and present reports, analyses and findings to senior management and others as scheduled or requested.
- You will engage with the MSHP Managed Care Contracting and Commercialization teams and interface with key leaders in our care management and clinical service lines.
- Act as liaison/analyst for internal stakeholders, understand their needs and translate them into reporting and analytic solutions.
- Minimum of BA/BS degree in a relevant field of study; Master’s degree preferred.
- At least two (2) years of analytics development experience for a health provider, health plan or accountable care organization including either: experience working in a health plan or consulting actuarial, financial reporting or medical economics departments or experience working in healthcare provider analytics related to managed care contracting, population management, clinical or financial decision support
- At least five (5) years of experience to be considered for level II
- At least ten (10) years of experience to be considered for level III
- PhD, MD or DO program may be substituted for 3 years of experience
- Strong data mining skills using tools like SQL, R, Python, SAS, etc.
- Strong analytical skills, with the ability to perform complex analysis and make recommendations based on statistical inferences. Experience with a wide variety of analytical or statistical methods.
- Strong working knowledge of Business Intelligence products (Tableau, SAS, MicroStrategy, etc.)
- Excellent oral and writing skills; ability to communicate effectively with varying audiences.
- Demonstrated ability to articulate goals, plan and implement processes to achieve those goals, recognize and assess the implications of confounding variables, and meet deadlines.
- Advanced interpersonal (e.g., mediating, mentoring, teaching) skills required to service internal and external clients effectively.
- Self-motivated with a demonstrated ability to work independently, and to exercise independent judgment in developing complex techniques or programs in a dynamic environment.
The Mount Sinai Health System believes that diversity is a driver for excellence. We share a common devotion to delivering exceptional patient care. Yet we’re as diverse as the city we call home- culturally, ethically, in outlook and lifestyle. When you join us, you become a part of Mount Sinai’s unrivaled record of achievement, education and advancement as we revolutionize medicine together.
We work hard to acquire and retain the best people, and to create a welcoming, nurturing work environment where you can develop professionally. We share the belief that all employees, regardless of job title or expertise, can make an impact on quality patient care.
Explore more about this opportunity and how you can help us write a new chapter in our story!
Over 38,000 employees strong, the mission of the Mount Sinai Health System is to provide compassionate patient care with seamless coordination and to advance medicine through unrivaled education, research, and outreach in the many diverse communities we serve.
Formed in September 2013, The Mount Sinai Health System combines the excellence of the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai with seven premier hospital campuses, including Mount Sinai Beth Israel, Mount Sinai Beth Israel Brooklyn, The Mount Sinai Hospital, Mount Sinai Queens, Mount Sinai West (formerly Mount Sinai Roosevelt), Mount Sinai St. Luke’s, and New York Eye and Ear Infirmary of Mount Sinai.
The Mount Sinai Health System is an equal opportunity employer. We promote recognition and respect for individual and cultural differences, and we work to make our employees feel valued and appreciated, whatever their race, gender, background, or sexual orientation.