Mount Sinai Careers
CLINICAL NURSE (PTO)
Strength Through Diversity
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
- The Clinical Nurse is a Registered Professional Nurse who provides safe, competent quality care based on nursing theory and research to a designated group of patients and significant others.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. PATIENT CARE
1. Delivers patient care by incorporating the tenets of the professional practice model of Relationship Centered Care and through the application of the nursing process based upon theory, research, evidence-based practice, and approved organizational nursing standards.
2. Assesses and evaluates patient care needs and applies critical thinking skills in patient care management.
3. Integrates relevant assessment and intervention skills in the delivery of nursing care.
4. Collaborates with the interdisciplinary healthcare team in the development, implementation, and evaluation of the plan of care.
5. Prioritizes all aspects of patient care including teaching, rounding, coaching, and planning “after hospital care” and delegating to others as appropriate.
6. Educates patients and caregivers while anticipating needs and readiness to learn, about their plan of care, transition of care, promotion of health, and prevention of disease.
7. Communicates effectively and professionally with patients, family and all members of the Interdisciplinary Patient Care Team.
8. Manages assignments within the Care Delivery Model of Modified Primary Nursing and demonstrates allocation of material resources effectively.
2. PATIENT EXPERIENCE
1. Role models the tenets of Mount Sinai Relationship Centered Care (MSHRCC) through facilitation of the following actions including, but not limited to, Admission Welcome, Bedside shift Report, HELP, AM/PM Care, 5 Minute Sit Down, Purposeful Hourly Rounding, Medication Review, Discharge Wrap Up, and MD/RN Unit Collaboration.
2. Considers the patient’s values, preferences, cultural diversity, expressed needs and knowledge in all aspects of care.
3. Establishes and maintains a therapeutic relationship with the patient and family.
4. Uses evidence-based practices to increase understanding of patients’ perceptions of care.
5. Initiates service recovery for patients and family members who have concerns and escalates to Clinical Nurse Manager/Assistant Nurse Manager/Nursing Shift Manager or Patient Relations as needed.
6. Demonstrates caring, respect, compassion, empathy and active listening through dialogue, body language and actions.
7. Supports staff use of evidence-based practices to increase understanding of patients’ perceptions of care.
8. Conducts Purposeful Hourly Rounding (PHR) on assigned patients addressing the 4 Ps.
3. QUALITY AND SAFETY
1. Practices safe and efficient patient-centered care, identifying and escalating barriers and opportunities for improvement.
2. Demonstrates clinical skills and knowledge crucial to quality and safety in the patient population served.
3. Implements process improvement strategies based on institutional, evidence-based ensure and procedures.
4. Engages in formal and informal peer and institutional review processes.
5. Collaborates with interdisciplinary teams to create and implement quality improvement projects, evidence-based practice activities and nursing research studies.
6. Contributes to quality and safety practices and required compliance measures.
7. Implements principles of high reliability to identify and avoid high risk behaviors to provide a safe environment for patients.
8. Escalates potential safety hazards or gaps from best practice following institutional chain of command protocol.
9. Utilizes institutional information technology by documenting nursing practice to support quality and performance improvement initiatives.
1. Performs charge nurse duties as assigned.
2. Coordinates with the Clinical Coordinator/Clinical Nurse Manager/Assistant Nurse Manager/Nursing Shift Manager to ensure supplies are appropriately utilized and inventory is sufficient for patient care.
3. Escalates material or staffing resource deficits to charge nurse, Clinical Nurse Manager/Assistant Nurse Manager or Nursing Shift Manager.
4. Demonstrates patient focused and cost effective approaches to patient care in terms of equipment, staff, supplies and all other resources.
5. Documents in an accurate and thorough manner in compliance with hospital, regulatory and legal requirements and standards of care.
5. PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT
1. Contributes to the environment of care to support clinical colleagues, patients and their families and members of the healthcare team.
2. Advances clinical competence in nursing practice to progress from novice to expert.
3. Projects a professional image to colleagues and communicates with styles and methods that demonstrate caring, respect, compassion and empathy.
4. Incorporates ethical principles into decision making for patient and family.
5. Encourages and demonstrates a spirit of scholarship, inquiry, life-long learning and innovation for self and others.
6. Acquires knowledge and skills relative to the role, patient population, clinical specialty and local and/or global health community needs.
7. Participates in shared decision making through specialty practice councils, nursing department committees and unit initiatives.
8. Serves as a professional role model and preceptor for new staff and students.
9. Advances as a clinical leader through acting in the charge role, as a patient throughput facilitator and resource person for the unit/clinical service area.
10. Articulates the values of research and evidence-based practice and its application to nursing practice and the environment of care.
11. Contributes to the profession of nursing through participation in professional organizations.
6. General Skills and Competencies
• Ability to read, write, understand and speak English in a clear and concise manner.
• Visual and aural acuity to assess patient status.
• Communication and interpersonal skills to work effectively with a wide variety of individuals.
• Ability to use basic data entry and retrieval systems.
• Ability to organize information and teach others.
• Analytic ability to collect and organize information, identifies problems and trends, formulate and implement corrective plans or programs.
• Ability to coordinate, prioritized, and allocates resources.
• Oriented to consumer satisfaction.
• Physical stamina, dexterity and mental health necessary to coordinate a broad variety of services and programs for designated patient population on a daily basis.
Bachelor of Science with a major in nursing preferred. Associate degree in nursing is considered only with relevant experience if approved by Chief Nursing Officer or designee
Relevant clinical competence in area of nursing practice assigned; new graduates must possess current knowledge of the nursing process and its application.
Licensed as a registered nurse with current registration in New York State.
General Skills and Competencies
1. Must have relevant clinical competence in area of nursing practice assigned; new graduates must possess current knowledge of the nursing process and its application
2. Evidence of ability to maintain interpersonal relationships, communicate appropriately to others, and work effectively and efficiently to solve problems
3. Demonstrates the ability to work in a team displaying effective communication and critical thinking
4. Ability to read, write, understand and speak English in a clear and concise manner
5. Visual, physical, auditory and cognitive ability to assess patient status
6. Physical and mental health necessary to care for acutely ill patients with a broad variety of diagnoses and behaviors on a daily basis
7. Ability to walk, stand, lift, stoop, push and respond quickly in a variety of situations and for an extended period of time
8. Manual dexterity to perform a variety of clinical procedures relevant to practice area (i.e. venipuncture, urinary catheterization, cardiopulmonary resuscitation)
9. Ability to use basic data entry, retrieval systems and the electronic medical record documentation system in a proficient manner