Strength Through Diversity
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
Marketing - Req. 2280976
Job Title: Communications and Marketing Associate II
Roles & Responsibilities:
Are you a dynamic individual who wants to be part of a media relations and communications enterprise that is proactive and engaged? Do you have the ability to strategically track metrics related to media placements, impressions and reach? Do you enjoy working with internal stakeholders to create a seamless system for promoting internal events? Do you have strong writing and editing skills to transform scientific language into easily digestible prose? If you do, Mount Sinai Health System wants you to join our team.
The Communications and Marketing Associate in the Department of Marketing and Communications at Mount Sinai Health System is responsible for all metrics related to media relations. It involves tracking, monitoring and reporting on media hits by academic department, as well as for the entire Health System which includes seven hospitals and one renowned medical school, the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai. The position includes many aspects of media relations including coordinating regular flow of information to news media, researching, editing, writing and issuing news communications. It also includes a role in internal communications in terms of writing announcements and events submitted by stakeholders for an internal publication. The position is a dual report to the Senior Director of Media and the Senior Director of Internal Communications at the Mount Sinai Health System.
- Develop and implement an ongoing media relations program that increases public understanding of the Mount Sinai Health System including The Mount Sinai Hospital, Mount Sinai St. Luke’s, Mount Sinai West, Mount Sinai Beth Israel, Mount Sinai Brooklyn, Mount Sinai Queens, the New York Eye and Ear Infirmary of Mount Sinai as well as the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai and a growing ambulatory network.
- Oversee and lead the reporting on metrics related to all media relations activities including strategic priorities, academic departments and Health System initiatives, as well as a local and global ambulatory network.
Build and maintain monthly and quarterly reports that track for total media hits, feature stories, press releases, impressions and reach.
Monitor media and track placements and key mentions. Maintain media dashboard for primary media activities, metrics and outcomes.
Evaluate analytics and identify trends on an ongoing basis for internal improvement and external visibility opportunities on an ongoing basis.
- Build and maintain positive and productive relationships with key news media and internal stakeholders, coordinating information flow and updates.
- Respond to and log all inquiries from news media, coordinating with appropriate staff to provide information that is accurate and aligned with all policies, procedures and practice. Coordinate all necessary arrangements for interview and/or filming requests from media and outside agencies.
- Assist in the coordination of special media events including the planning and arranging of press conferences/briefings and the scheduling of editorial visits to key news media.
- Manage media lists, all enterprise news releases, and the news release schedule
- Write and edit daily review of media hits for Health System
- In conjunction with the Senior Director of Communications, write and edit requests for placement in internal Health System newsletter.
- In conjunction with the Vice President of Marketing & Communications, develop, maintain and/or implement media processes, guidelines and resources including fact sheets, response, language and talking points on an ongoing basis. Identify and address needs, and educate enterprise staff on media relations and use of these resources
- Represent the Department of Marketing and Communications at meetings as needed.
- Assist in crisis communications activities as needed during or after normal work hours.
- Manage projects and other duties as assigned.
- A bachelor’s degree with one to two years of experience and demonstrated success in media relations, preferably in an integrated communications/public relations environment. Healthcare and some agency experience strongly preferred.
- Proficiency in Cision or other media relations software, as well as working with media analytics and reporting.
- Excellent newswriting, with proficiency in writing for business communication, social media and the web. Strong verbal communications, and analytical, organizational, and interpersonal skills, including experience working with leadership and staff at all organizational levels.
- Demonstrated ability to work with complex information and manage multiple projects, requests and deadlines in a fast-moving environment with multiple stakeholders, both independently and as part of a team.
- Expert understanding of AP style and newswriting.
Strength Through Diversity
The Mount Sinai Health System believes that diversity is a driver for excellence. We share a common devotion to delivering exceptional patient care. Yet we’re as diverse as the city we call home- culturally, ethically, in outlook and lifestyle. When you join us, you become a part of Mount Sinai’s unrivaled record of achievement, education and advancement as we revolutionize medicine together.
We work hard to acquire and retain the best people, and to create a welcoming, nurturing work environment where you can develop professionally. We share the belief that all employees, regardless of job title or expertise, can make an impact on quality patient care.
Explore more about this opportunity and how you can help us write a new chapter in our story!
Who We Are
Over 38,000 employees strong, the mission of the Mount Sinai Health System is to provide compassionate patient care with seamless coordination and to advance medicine through unrivaled education, research, and outreach in the many diverse communities we serve.
Formed in September 2013, The Mount Sinai Health System combines the excellence of the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai with seven premier hospital campuses, including Mount Sinai Beth Israel, Mount Sinai Beth Israel Brooklyn, The Mount Sinai Hospital, Mount Sinai Queens, Mount Sinai West (formerly Mount Sinai Roosevelt), Mount Sinai St. Luke’s, and New York Eye and Ear Infirmary of Mount Sinai.
The Mount Sinai Health System is an equal opportunity employer. We promote recognition and respect for individual and cultural differences, and we work to make our employees feel valued and appreciated, whatever their race, gender, background, or sexual orientation.