Mount Sinai Careers
Clinical Risk Manager; Full Time; Days
Strength Through Diversity
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
The Clinical Risk Manager is responsible for the coordination and investigation of serious adverse events, including potentially reportable incidents to the New York State Department of Health and provides documentation of all related data and facilitates resolution of reported incidents. This position supports the Medical Center’s objective of enhancing and promoting patient safety and quality of care and minimizing loss to protect the assets of the facility. This individual participates in formulating risk reduction strategies, policy and/or organizational changes.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Coordinates the risk management program to meet the needs of the institution.
2. Performs investigation of potentially reportable incident (s) to the New York State Department of Health.
3. Review and analysis of all occurrence reports for Risk Management, quality of care, regulatory and insurance concerns.
4. Conducts Root Cause Analysis investigations, which includes assessing need for focused review by departments, and or clinical chairpersons for peer reviews.
5. Maintains risk management information system database.
6. Prepares various incident summary reports; provides all required documentation for investigations, activities and resolutions related to the reported incident (s).
7. Facilitates the peer review process and completion of corrected action plans (CAP).
8. Identifies organizational risk through trend analysis of incidents, incident letters, reports etc.
9. Interface with the FOJP on-site Risk Control Coordinators: reporting potential claims as well as cases of concern by preparation of preliminary reports, and determination of priority of investigation given risk management assessment
10. Acts as a resource person by presenting relevant risk management issues for discussion and evaluation
11. Keeps abreast of appropriate regulatory requirements related to risk management
12. Responds to inquiries regarding various reports and individual professional liability matters
13. On-call responsibility to provide 24/7 coverage to field inquiries from all medical center staff (outside normal business hours) on risk management and other concerns
14. Serve as point person and coordinator for planned and unannounced site visits by the New York City as well as New York State Departments of Health
15. Active participation on committees directed toward promoting quality of care and with availability to attend/cover other Committee meetings as well as Mortality and Morbidity conferences
16. Assists in developing educational programs to raise staff awareness to risk exposure and the impact on professional liability
17. Prepares annual analytical summary of risk management annual and historical data and trends for presentation to Senior Management
18. Other duties as assigned
Bachelors degree in Nursing or related field; Masters preferred
Current New York State license as a Registered Professional Nurse or other licensed clinical professional
3 years (greater preferred) of responsible work experience in Risk Management
Database Applications- Intermediate
Excellent written and oral communications skills
Excellent problem and analytical skills
Effective conflict resolution skills