Mount Sinai Careers
Per diem Coder (Inpatient) - MSH- Medical Records Dept
Strength Through Diversity
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
- Under general direction, responsible for assigning diagnostic and procedure codes to records of patients according to recognized nomenclature and classification.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Codes data from patient records utilizing computerized coding system to ensure optimal reimbursement to the hospital for inpatient hospitalizations.
2. Abstracts data from the patients’ medical record using the computerized abstracting system in order to compile accurate and timely statistical data.
3. Verifies accuracy of information by identifying such things as patient’s name, hospital number, and location in hospital to ensure proper chart is processed.
4. Locates missing charts and returns to appropriate area within the department as needed.
5. Reviews medical charts for deficiencies and completes appropriate forms.
6. Participates in Quality Improvement studies as assigned by the Manager in order to define coding problems and provide documentation of the quality/quantity of work performed.
7. Responds to or clarifies internal requests for medical information.
8. Performs other related duties.
Associate degree or equivalent
1 year experience in medical coding
Knowledge of human anatomy, physiology is preferred
Knowledge of coding/abstraction, medical terminology and Diagnostic Related Group (DRG), ICD-10 codes
EPIC Software Applications- Intermediate