Mount Sinai Careers
CLINICAL NUTRITION COORDINATOR - GENETICS & GENOMIC SCIENCES
Strength Through Diversity
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Evaluates the nutritional status of patients by reviewing pertinent information obtained from the electronic medical record and the interdisciplinary health care team. Applies knowledge of nutrition screening and assessment to specific patient populations to determine their nutritional needs
- Documents pertinent findings in the medical record as per policy.
- Provides quality nutrition counseling to specific patient populations and family members as indicated.
- Coordinates projects within the department, including nutrition related in-services, interdepartmental nutrition education programs, and lectures.
- Designs, develops and regularly updates nutrition education materials to meet the specialized needs of specific patient populations.
- Participates in quality assurance monitoring and reporting for departmental performance improvement meetings.
- Precepts dietetic interns, develops learning modules, instructs them on the competencies required to complete their assigned rotation, and completes student evaluations.
- Evaluates nutrition care plans for effectiveness and recommends changes as needed. Uses professional judgment to adapt and apply guidelines, protocols and professional standards of care to the new and changing needs of the patient.
- May participates in practice-specific research to enhance program.
- Participates in interdisciplinary rounds as needed. Communicates effectively with members of the healthcare team. Acts as a resource to all hospital staff and provides direction regarding nutrition needs for the specific patient populations
- Assists with discharge planning and home care as needed
- Participates in community focused education programs and external speaking events to promote service and education.
- Presents department journal clubs.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree with concentration in Nutrition and Dietetics from an accredited institution. Master’s degree preferred, but not required.
- Registered Dietitian (RD) from the Commission on Dietetic Registration required
- Certified Dietitian Nutritionist (CDN) from NYS Department of Education Office of the Professions, preferred, but not required.
- Advanced credential such as the Certified Diabetes Educator (CDE), Certified Nutrition Support Clinician (CNSC), or Pediatric, Renal, Oncology specialist preferred, but not required
- 3-5 years relevant nutritionist experience
- Licensed as a Certified Dietitian Nutritionist (CDN)