Mount Sinai Careers
Associate Director, Population Health Operations Finance – Mount Sinai Health Partners
The Mount Sinai Health System
Mount Sinai is one of the largest non-profit health systems in the U.S. with a strong reputation for quality of care (18th ranked academic medical center) and research/education (22nd ranked medical school). Our health system has ~40,000 employees working together to provide billions of dollars in high-quality care for millions of patients each year.
We are accelerating a transition to a business model focused on population health management – our goal is to keep entire communities healthy and out of the hospital. Mount Sinai Health Partners (MSHP) is the team driving this transformation within Mount Sinai. The team includes 400+ employees with clinical, contracting, finance, IT, analytics, operations, and product development expertise.
MSHP is a fast growing business unit within Mount Sinai and is looking for team members who:
Within MSHP, the Population Health Operations Team develops the Population Health strategy and drives key initiatives to support that strategy across all other MSHP and MSHS business functions, including contracting, analytics, clinical operations, commercialization, and IT. The Population Health Operations Team also owns the core business operations of the population health enterprise, including finance and team growth & development.
MSHP The ideal candidate is a strategic finance & accounting professional looking for a blended accounting and finance leadership role, who is excited about building and operating a finance function, and who has a customer service mindset and commitment to continuous improvement.seeks an to develop and operate the finance function which currently serves Mount Sinai’s population health business, and will also serve Mount Sinai’s commercialization clients.
The Responsibilities include:will be responsible for creating standard processes, tools, and templates – as well as corresponding SLAs to meet the expectations of internal population health business leadership, as well as external commercialization clients.
· Design and implement appropriate financial controls – ensure timely and accurate financial transactions
· Perform overall accounting; recommend accounting structure to align with strategic business objectives
· Develop monthly, quarterly, and annual financial reports to meet the needs of management, the Board, and commercialization clients
· Develop financial forecasts that align with strategy
· Develop annual budgets
· Manage the operations and overall performance of the population health finance department
Thewill report to the Vice President of Population Health Operations and will lead a team that includes one Population Health Finance Associate, as well as a portion of time from the Population Health Operations Team Coordinator.
Accounting & Financial Reporting
· Recommend accounting structure that aligns with strategic business objectives; work with MSHS finance team to implement
· Ensure ledgers are up to date and accurate
· For commercialization clients, coordinate the provision of information to external auditors on an as requested basis
· With the Associate Director of Population Health Strategy, develop multi-year financial forecasts for the population business based on market sizing, competitor analysis, and detailed scenario-based projections of performance in value-based contracts
· Maintain multi-year financial forecast and refine projections as appropriate
· Derive insights from financial projections & prepare materials to support Leadership Team discussions
Finance Department Operations & Performance Management
Education and Experience
· Bachelor’s degree required
· 7 – 10 years of professional experience required either in finance or accounting
· Prior experience at an investment bank or financial consulting firm, a fortune 500 company, a health insurer, or large complex health system; building and running a finance function at a start-up would also be valuable experience for this role
· Experience with financial modeling and financial reporting
· Advanced knowledge of Excel, including experience building complex models in Excel
· Strong functional knowledge of value-based contract structure a plus, or motivation to learn coupled with demonstrated ability to successfully learn complex subject matter on the job
· Previous experience managing one or more direct reports required
Additional Skills and Qualities
· Proven leader – Must have strong work ethics, well organized and a self-starter.
· Able to interface independently with senior leaders from large organizations
· Strategic thinker – natural strategic thinker that is able to understands how individual project activities fit within and contribute to the overall population health business
· Problem solver – responds to problems with suggested solutions; sound judgment and decision-making abilities
· Analytic skillset – able to perform complex analytics including financial analyses, P&L development; exceptionally fluent in Excel
· Effective communicator – excellent written and verbal communication; able to summarize analyses in a way that simplifies complex ideas and synthesize information into insights
· Flexible team player – able to collaborate well with diverse set of team members, comfortable working in a start-up environment, and responds effectively to constructive feedback
· Organized – meticulous and detail-oriented; consistently meets timelines and objectives
· Reliable – delivers high-quality work and accurate analyses; proactively addresses questions or concerns in a timely manner
· Mature professional – seen as a mature leader, interacts with internal and external stakeholders independently and in a professional manner
· Passionate innovator – desire to join a fast-paced, growth-oriented environment with a passion for delivering superior health value and improving health care in the US