Mount Sinai Careers
Per Diem Utilization Review Specialist - Operating Room Scheduling Office
Strength Through Diversity
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
Job Title: Per Diem Utilization Review Specialist
Roles & Responsibilities:
The Utilization Review Specialist coordinates scheduling of all surgical/endoscopic hospital admissions, pre-admission testing and operating room procedures. Seeks the assistance of the Nurse Manager in identifying cases, which require pre admission screening or have questionable admission criteria. Primary Duties Produces an updated operating room schedule that reflects changes that are a result of calling each surgeon, confirming their surgical reservations.
- Schedules, cancels, rearranges and updates the OR schedule as necessary.
- Communicates this information to other areas that assist in facilitating the care of patients at Sinai for surgery. Arranges for call team staff coverage for weekend/holiday emergencies procedures and surgeries. Maintains statistics for surgical volume by accounting actual Operating room records.
- Maintains a customer friendly environment, assists physicians and/or office staff in arranging admission, pre testing appointments, and operating room time 1.
- Coordinates scheduling of elective or urgent surgical admissions, pre-admission testing and operating room time.
- Checks credentials system for physician’s delineation of privileges for equipment and/or procedures according to medical board guidelines.
- Verifies scheduled OR procedures with computerized scheduling system for appropriateness of procedures time allocated, equipment conflicts, and physician’s privileges.
- Collects patient’s demographic information into the hospital admission system arranging a pre-admission reservation, notifying the necessary care center.
- Arranges for pre-testing appointment, if required.
- Acts as resource to physician and/or staff concerning changing hospital policies.
- Requests pre certification number on required procedures from physicians.
- Rotates to OR scheduling Productions where the confirmation of all surgical procedures, addition and cancellation to the 24 hour schedule arrangements are made.
- Required - High School Diploma/GED
- Must be flexible with varied shifts which can include nights, holiday and weekends
Strength Through Diversity
The Mount Sinai Health System believes that diversity is a driver for excellence. We share a common devotion to delivering exceptional patient care. Yet we’re as diverse as the city we call home- culturally, ethically, in outlook and lifestyle. When you join us, you become a part of Mount Sinai’s unrivaled record of achievement, education and advancement as we revolutionize medicine together.
We work hard to acquire and retain the best people, and to create a welcoming, nurturing work environment where you can develop professionally. We share the belief that all employees, regardless of job title or expertise, can make an impact on quality patient care.
Explore more about this opportunity and how you can help us write a new chapter in our story!
Who We Are
Over 38,000 employees strong, the mission of the Mount Sinai Health System is to provide compassionate patient care with seamless coordination and to advance medicine through unrivaled education, research, and outreach in the many diverse communities we serve.
Formed in September 2013, The Mount Sinai Health System combines the excellence of the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai with seven premier hospital campuses, including Mount Sinai Beth Israel, Mount Sinai Beth Israel Brooklyn, The Mount Sinai Hospital, Mount Sinai Queens, Mount Sinai West (formerly Mount Sinai Roosevelt), Mount Sinai St. Luke’s, and New York Eye and Ear Infirmary of Mount Sinai.
The Mount Sinai Health System is an equal opportunity employer. We promote recognition and respect for individual and cultural differences, and we work to make our employees feel valued and appreciated, whatever their race, gender, background, or sexual orientation.