Mount Sinai Careers
Senior Physician Assistant - PA - Neurosurgery/Spine, Day - ISM
Strength Through Diversity
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
Department: Neurosurgery; REQ. # 2313442
Position: Senior Physician Assistant
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Assesses patient health by interview and by obtaining and/or updating medical history. Documents patient care services by charting in patient and department records.
2. Performs physical examinations and provides treatment and counsel. Recognizes and evaluates patients who require the immediate attention of a physician and, when necessary, initiates emergency medical treatment without supervision.
3. Determines abnormal conditions by administering or ordering diagnostic tests and laboratory studies. Follows-up on x-rays and laboratory data. Interprets diagnostic test results.
4. Performs therapeutic procedures such as injections, immunizations, suturing, post-operative care and management of wound care and infections. Utilizes diagnostic techniques, such as observation, palpation, percussion or auscultation.
5. Counsels patients regarding prescribed therapeutic regimens and health maintenance.
6. Maintains accurate and complete patient records. Develops and implements patient management plans, records procedure and progress notes and discharge summaries, and assists in provision of continuity of care.
7. Maintains a safe and clean work environment by ensuring compliance with infection-control policies and protocols and other safety procedures and regulations.
8. Develops and provides education related to pre and post-operative evaluation and treatment plans.
9. Provide oversight of all surgical cases related to scheduling and medical clearance
10. Provides assistance to physicians during surgery or complicated medical procedures.
11. May prescribe medication.
12. Performs other related duties
13. General Competencies:
1. Must have relevant competence in area of clinical practice assigned; new P.A. graduates must possess current knowledge of the clinical process and its application
2. Evidence of ability to maintain interpersonal relationships, communicate appropriately to others, and work effectively and efficiently to solve problems
3. Demonstrates the ability to work in a team displaying effective communication and critical thinking
4. Ability to read, write, understand and speak English in a clear and concise manner
5. Visual, physical, auditory and cognitive ability to assess patient status
6. Physical and mental health necessary to care for acutely ill patients with a broad variety of diagnoses and behaviors on a daily basis
7. Ability to walk, stand, lift, stoop, push and respond quickly in a variety of situations and for an extended period of time
8. Manual dexterity to perform a variety of clinical procedures relevant to clinical practice area (i.e. venipuncture, urinary catheterization, cardiopulmonary resuscitation)
9. Ability to use basic data entry, retrieval systems and the electronic medical record documentation system in a proficient manner
Graduate of an accredited Physician Assistant Program
Graduate from an ARC-PA (Accreditation Review Commission on Education for the Physician Assistant) program, or equivalent as approved by the New York State Education Department.(Additional education/experience may be required for some specialty areas).
Current certification by the National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants
Current licensure to practice as a Physician Assistant issued by the NYS Board of Medicine
Current unrestricted DEA certificate for mid-level providers. (Full schedule: 2, 2N, 3, 3N, 4, 5)
NYS Mandated Infection Control Course Certificate (renewable every four years)
Current BLS and ACLS certification (for all Departments other than Pediatrics)
Current BLS and PALS certification is required for all Physician Assistants working within the Department of Pediatrics. For Physician Assistants working in the public school system through the Mount Sinai Hospital Adolescent Health Center, only BLS certification is required.
2 years experience in area of clinical specialty; 3 years otherwise.
1. Physician Assistant