Mount Sinai Careers
CHILD LIFE SPECIALIST III
Strength Through Diversity
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
- Job Summary
The Child Life Specialist III provides comprehensive child life services to any and all areas of the Child Life and Creative Arts Therapy Department. The child life specialist III possess advance clinical skill and serves as role model for peers and other staff, precepting new child life staff, mentoring, providing departmental and interdisciplinary education and coordinating clinical/program development activities.
Duties and Responsibilities
(in order of importance and/or frequency)
• Provides comprehensive child life services for PICU, P4, P5, PCICU, ZONE, NICU, ED and outpatient areas as directed by the child life director.
• Functions as a key member of the healthcare team, communicating all relevant developmental and psychosocial information to other team members via charting, participation in team meetings, etc. Responds immediately to all formal and informal consults submitted.
• Makes all appropriate patient and family referrals for specialty programming.
• Participates in planning and implementation of special events and programming.
• Develops and assists with projects addressing the needs of patients and families identified by the Child Life and Creative Arts Therapy director and leadership team including the coordination of child life services in areas throughout the hospital.
• Through leadership meetings, create strategic plans that ensure that overall child life programming needs are routinely met (position recruitment, staff scheduling).
• Develops and implements educational seminars that address psychosocial needs and challenges of hospitalization to child life interns and to other staff within the hospital.
• Provides continuing educational competency programs for child life staff.
• Provide clinical supervision and management of assigned child life staff in scheduled supervision sessions, performance planning, and performance appraisals.
• Participates and/or facilitates clinical group supervision.
• Provides supervision to volunteers, students and child life interns.
• Serve in leadership roles on identified departmental committees and initiatives.
• Participates in hospital wide committees as assigned.
• Maintains professional development and competency.
Minimum Related Experience: 5 years of related experience working as a child life specialist in a pediatric healthcare setting.
Minimum Licensing Requirements: None
Minimum Certification Requirements: Professional Child Life Specialist Certification (CCLS)
Agent: Child Life Council