Mount Sinai Careers
Pathology Grossing Specialist - Full Time
Strength Through Diversity
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
Receives specimens, documents the macroscopic descriptions and prepares moderate to high complexity surgical pathology specimens for processing.
- Receives specimens for diagnostic purposes.
- Enters all necessary information about the macroscopic description of specimens in the computer.
- Interprets physician instructions written on test requisition that is accompanying the specimens.
- Analyzes, grossly describes and dissects moderate to high complexity pathology specimens.
- Prosects autopsies, when necessary.
- Assists Pathologists in performing frozen sections.
- Retrieves biopsy specimen containers for quality control issues.
- Collates bottles according to procedures for storage purposes.
- Maintains cleanliness of grossing area.
- Ensures accountability of each specimen container grossed.
- Exercises safety precautions.
- Performs related duties.
- AA degree with science or biology and anatomy credits.
- NYS Clinical Lab Technologist.
- Basic to Intermediate knowledge in MS Word.
- Five years of experience in grossing surgical pathology specimens.
- NYS Clinical Lab Technician or Technologist or NYS Histology Technician or Technologist license.
- Exerts up to 10-15 lbs of force.
- Must be able to work in an area where dead bodies or body parts are kept/examined.
- Must meet the general requirements of the Medical Center as defined in Personnel Policy 13.2.
- Maintain a neat and orderly appearance and be punctual in attendance.
- Follows the policies of Medical Center.
- Works with and handles Biohazard (TB, HIV, Hepatitis, etc) and toxic chemicals.
- Tolerates allowable limit of chemical odor.
- Follows written and verbal instruction accurately and with good judgment.
- Learns new procedures as required.
- Maintains orderliness and cleanliness in working area.