Mount Sinai Careers
LEAD SURGEON'S ASSISTANT - SURGERY
Strength Through Diversity
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
Lead Surgeon's Assistant - 2318716
The Lead Surgeon’s Assistant is responsible for day to day surgical technology operations for the Ambulatory Surgery Unit for Mount Sinai Surgical Associates. In addition to Lead duties, this individual is expected to perform all scrub assignment and circulating duties as described for a Surgeon’s Assistant, inclusive of assisting in surgical operations under the supervision of surgeons, registered nurses, or other surgical personnel; preparation of the operating room and patient prior to surgery and may assist the surgeon during the procedures. Performs support activities in the Unit as assigned.
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Coordinates all training, orientation and precepting of new Surgeon’s Assistants.
- Develops and maintains a comprehensive orientation program for Surgeon’s Assistants.
- Coordinates and develops staff in-services and training on new procedures and equipment for all the various surgical procedures.
- Participates in the interview and selection process for assignment of new Surgeon’s Assistants.
- Works as a liaison between the operating room and central sterile supply.
- Routinely works as a member of a team consisting of the Registered Nurse Circulator, the Operating Room Technician, and the Anesthetist, to provide Operating Room services to patients undergoing surgery.
- Functions as the Surgeon’s Assistant for a wide variety of complex, extensive, and frequently prolonged procedures with each of the Surgical Service providers, such as General Surgery, Orthopedic Surgery, ENT Surgery, Urology, Ophthalmology, Plastic Surgery, and Gynecological Surgery.
- Prepares assigned operating rooms for specific surgical procedures. The selection of equipment, drapes, packs, sutures, and instruments according to procedure and the surgeon’s preference. The Surgeon’s Assistant shares responsibility for ensuring that needed items are available for each case.
- Operates and uses a wide range of highly specialized equipment and disposable supplies needed for the various procedures.
- Takes action to maintain maintains the highest possible level of sterile technique utilizing critical standards of asepsis.
- Anticipates the surgeon’s need of instruments or supplies during an operative procedure. Anticipates and prepares for emergencies or problematic developments during a surgical procedure.
- Participates with the Circulating Nurse in counting of sponges, needles, blades, and instruments. Follows protocols or handling and transport of contaminated items, disposal of sharps, etc.
- Functions as First Assistant under the direct supervision of the surgeon to provide aid. Performs other technical functions under the direction of the Surgeon that will help the surgeon carry out a safe operation with optimal results for the patient.
- Participates as a team member and a resource person on specialty teams in the Operating Room. Each service has a specialty team and the purpose of the specialty teams is to organize, update, and educate for that service.
- Responds to emergencies performs all routine checks, such as refrigerators, freezers, and warmers, preparing the operating rooms for the following day’s cases, and maintaining general orderliness of the unit.
Graduation from an accredited surgical technologist program.
Certification in OR Technology from the National Board of Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting is preferred.
1. Operating Room experience
2. Experience in all surgical applications
3. Must have a vast knowledge of surgical procedures and equipment
4. Prefer experience in ambulatory surgery operating room setting