Mount Sinai Careers
LICENSED PRACTICAL NURSE - Pediatric Clinic
Strength Through Diversity
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
- The practice of nursing as a Licensed Practical Nurse is defined as performing tasks &
responsibilities within the scope of supportive & restorative care; medication administration and
specialized tasks under the direction of a Registered Professional Nurse of licensed or otherwise
legally authorized physician or dentist
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Delivers nursing care in structured & routine situations free of scientific complexity.
2. Assistance with activities of daily living.
3. Administration of treatments and routine tasks such as suctioning and urinary
4. Preparation of patient for surgery, diagnostic tests, treatments, examinations.
5. Administration of medications within scope of practice.
6. Identification and set up of intravenous equipment and delivery of solutions for
infusion through peripheral access devices
7. Administer blood or blood products, with special training.
8. Reports pertinent observations, treatments, medications, incidents & accidents associated
with patients, to the Registered Professional Nurse & records same on appropriate
documents with the format of charting utilized in the unit.
9. Recognizes the unit based model for delivery of nursing care & assumes responsibility
for assignments delegated by the Registered Professional Nurse such as:
1) Contributes to nursing care plan in collaboration with other members of nursing
10. Reinforces the patient/family teaching process identified by the RN
11. Provides emotional support to patients & their families/significant others
12. Assists with the rehabilitation of patients according to the nursing care plan
13. Provides for the physical comfort & safety of the patient
14. Contributes to patient care conferences
Assists in Emergency Resuscitative Procedures by initiating a Team 7000 call,
performing resuscitative procedures such as BCLS & carrying out other activities as
directed by the team.
Documents nursing care delivered on appropriate forms within the medical record.
15. Performs other duties as required.
a) Completion of educational program for licensure as a LPN
b) Successful completion of required New York State Department of
Health LPN IV Therapy Initial Program for the demonstration of
competence in the performance of intravenous therapy/blood
administration procedures as part of Centralized Orientation
c) Successful completion of annual unit-based review & update program in
procedures associated with intravenous therapy
Licensure: New York State Licensure with current registration as a LPN
Appropriate experience in a health care setting preferred