Strength Through Diversity
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
Patient Financial Services - Req. 2329724
Job Title: Financial Specialist
Roles & Responsibilities:
The Financial Specialist is responsible for creation, processing and monitoring of medical and financial assistance applications. Also is responsible for the reconciliation of application and reports.
Responsible for ensuring all required demographic, financial, referral/authorization and clinical and other registration data is collected, verified and communicated appropriately. Schedule is varied to meet the needs of the service sites and ancillary departments. Responsibilities may involve weekend and evening hours.
- Functions include patient pre-registration/registration.
- Pre admission/admission insurance verification, referral coordination, pre-certification, screening for financial counseling and eligibility determination.
- Verifies and updates patient insurance and demographic information when needed.
- Sorts and organizes applications for either financial assistance or medical assistance based on the patient needs.
- Handles financial processing for the full range of hospital services, including outpatient, inpatient, and procedural cases.
- Obtains and verifies insurance/payment source, seeks necessary referral/authorization and coverage as required, and assists with identification/resolution of insurance issues.
- Enters decisions in the tracking system. Posts all denials into the tracking system and forwards documentation to appropriate staff members for appeals process.
- Coordination activities with specific physician offices, service sites and ancillary departments.
- Notify the patient/family of third party payor(s) of authorization or certification requirements.
- Update Cerner and Eagle billing systems with current patient and insurance information.
- Cross-trained to support multiple patient and payer types.
- Provides training for new regulations as it applies to primary duties.
- Schedule is varied to meet the needs of the service sites and ancillary departments.
- Special projects as assigned by supervisor or manager
High School Diploma – Associate Degree preferred
Hospital or business office experience or patient accounts preferred.
Knowledge of health insurance payers or billing preferred.
Basic knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, Internet and Outlook . Knowledge of On-Trac, Eagle 2000, Cerner applications preferred.
Individual must have the ability to set priorities, problem solves and use proper judgment in difficult situations and be flexible.
Excellent written, oral communication, interpersonal and customer service skills required. Individual must be able to work independently and self starter.
Strength Through Diversity
The Mount Sinai Health System believes that diversity is a driver for excellence. We share a common devotion to delivering exceptional patient care. Yet we’re as diverse as the city we call home- culturally, ethically, in outlook and lifestyle. When you join us, you become a part of Mount Sinai’s unrivaled record of achievement, education and advancement as we revolutionize medicine together.
We work hard to acquire and retain the best people, and to create a welcoming, nurturing work environment where you can develop professionally. We share the belief that all employees, regardless of job title or expertise, can make an impact on quality patient care.
Explore more about this opportunity and how you can help us write a new chapter in our story!
Who We Are
Over 38,000 employees strong, the mission of the Mount Sinai Health System is to provide compassionate patient care with seamless coordination and to advance medicine through unrivaled education, research, and outreach in the many diverse communities we serve.
Formed in September 2013, The Mount Sinai Health System combines the excellence of the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai with seven premier hospital campuses, including Mount Sinai Beth Israel, Mount Sinai Beth Israel Brooklyn, The Mount Sinai Hospital, Mount Sinai Queens, Mount Sinai West (formerly Mount Sinai Roosevelt), Mount Sinai St. Luke’s, and New York Eye and Ear Infirmary of Mount Sinai.
The Mount Sinai Health System is an equal opportunity employer. We promote recognition and respect for individual and cultural differences, and we work to make our employees feel valued and appreciated, whatever their race, gender, background, or sexual orientation.