Mount Sinai Careers
Strength Through Diversity
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
Department of Social Services (MSH) - Req Number: 2330734
Job Title: Social Worker – Center for Cognitive Health
The Social Worker develops collaborative relationships with other disciplines to assure effective patient care. After appropriate training, demonstrates competency for specific patient population. In specific program areas (e.g. Renal and Transplant), more detailed job descriptions specific to the program area have been developed.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Interview patients and families to assess and evaluate patients' social, psychological and environmental situations. Review information obtained from patient care staff and medical records, to determine patient needs.
2. Provide social work services in accordance with social work assessment and conducts individual and/or group treatment sessions for patients and families with personal and environmental difficulties which may interfere with obtaining maximum benefits from medical or psychiatric care.
3. Direct patients/families to appropriate community agencies and resources for financial assistance, counseling, rehabilitation, auxiliary care, or to aid in location of, e.g., medical supplies, adaptive devices.
4. Conduct discharge planning for patients with disabilities or illnesses, assessing needs for more specialized care, and arrange placement in other health care facilities, rehabilitation institutions, or extended care facilities as appropriate. Participate in placement of children.
5. Participate as a team member in conferences with other health care professionals, and communicate to patient care staffs the social, emotional and environmental problems which may affect patients' response to treatment.
6. Work with other staff to develop quality improvement initiatives.
7. Participate in educational programs, related to social work theories and practices, of medical students and residents, and allied health professionals within and outside the Hospital through such activities as formal precepting, participating on committees, consultations, developing and presenting lectures, and so forth.
8. Develop and maintains contacts with various community agencies to gather information on available resources, to relay appropriate patient information, and to improve services provided.
9. Record concise narrative of assessment plan and interventions in patients' medical record.
10. Engage in educational development and field work experience of advanced social work students.
11. Participate in educational programs of medical students, residents and allied health professionals within and outside the Hospital.
12. Maintain current knowledge about government and community social service programs and regulations.
13. Participate in appropriate educational activities and department meetings.
14. In some program areas, supervise less experienced social workers.
15. After appropriate training, demonstrates competency for specific patient population.
16. Performs other related duties.
Masters Degree in Social Work
Knowledge of social work services theories and techniques.
Level of knowledge of social work process and community resources and agencies in relation to health, illness and disability, generally acquired through six months to one year related experience in a medical or health care setting.
Strength Through Diversity