Mount Sinai Careers
UX/UI Graphic Designer - Digital Consumer Solutions
Strength Through Diversity
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
Digital Consumer Solutions - Req #2331996
UI Graphic Designer
Mount Sinai Health System is accelerating a transition to a business and operating model oriented towards the changing demands of the healthcare industry. Success in this new model will require, among other things, an expanded focus on the consumer. Traditionally, the focus of consumer engagement was limited to their role as patients and associated primarily with the services rendered in our hospitals and physician offices.
In the new model, Mount Sinai will need to engage consumers, their families, and caregivers throughout the health care life cycle, i.e. when they shop for and buy health care, when they are trying to stay well, and when they need care. Beyond the hospital and the doctor’s office, we will engage them at home, at work, and in the community. We must engage with them when and how they want to be engaged. This will require Mount Sinai to “productize” these points of engagement with consumers. It will require new leaders with core competencies in the areas of software engineering, big data, behavioral economics, person-centered design, and rapid iteration development and experimentation, all of which are more frequently and effectively practiced outside the healthcare industry today.
Our charter is to productize solutions using the latest and greatest technologies, operating like a startup, but leveraging a strong bias for action, clinical expertise, and robust funding from the broader Mount Sinai ecosystem.
As a User Interface Designer you will get to work on a high-caliber team within one of the top health systems in the world. To drive this expanded focus on the consumer, the Mount Sinai Health System is launching a new Consumer Digital Solutions team, as an affiliate of the Population Health division, Mount Sinai Health Partners (MSHP). The Graphic Designer will be responsible for building beautiful, consumer-grade experiences using the latest mobile and web technologies and design considerations. You will be the advocate for the Patient, our consumer user. You will collaborate with the Product Strategy team, as well as clinical, operational, and sales leads within the health system to develop integrated solutions that unify and re-imagine the patient experience.
The ultimate goal is to deliver real-world, modern products that help patients with access, navigation, service, payments, and overall clinical outcomes. The long-term vision for the team is to scale this platform across the enterprise and potentially ‘spin out’ to develop products for and with other health systems.
SCOPE OF RESPONSIBILITIES
Design Professional: We are looking for a design minded product leader and user advocate with 3 to 8 years of experience performing user research and interviews, and building interfaces for web and mobile applications. We want someone with consumer experience where real customers and external users used the products you designed, and those products then scaled up in terms of volume of transactions, interactions, features, etc. A Design or equivalent college degree is required.
Product Acumen: Strong foundational product design skills that demonstrated ability to collaborate, and be curious to understand what consumer users need as patients in healthcare. Know how to work in agile software development life cycles and break down projects into stories for engineering. At a minimum, the ideal candidate will exhibit the majority of the following competencies:
● User Research, User Surveys, and live user activity event analysis
● Collaboration with Marketing, Product, and Engineering teams
● User Interface prototyping and high fidelity mockups
● Persona Development
● User Journey Mapping
● Visual communications, branding, and theming
● Interactive design
● Agile Development Methodologies, Scrums, Sprints, and Stories
● SQL query analysis a plus for data analytics
● Consumer onboarding and funnel optimization a plus
● Healthcare experience a plus
Entrepreneurial Heritage: Entrepreneurial spirit and desire to quickly develop product concepts, with a focus on continuous improvement and long-term career goals to be part of a startup-like company focused on dramatically improving US healthcare
● Customer-Focused: Put yourself in the shoes of the customer, a patient needing help. Build the system you would want for you or your family during a time of need.
● Pathfinder: Nothing beats a relentless desire to innovate despite all obstacles. Hustle and find a way.
● Curiosity: Never stop learning. Challenge ideas and look at the data. “The capacity to learn is a gift. The ability to learn is a skill. The willingness to learn is a choice.” - Brian Herbert
● Opinionated: Bring innovative ideas to the table. Don’t be afraid to be wrong, and know how to have a professional, best-ideas-win debate. Collaborate and work together to refine.
● Passion: Empathy with a bias for action to make an impact on healthcare. Love what you do.
● High Standards: Iterate. Do not settle; great products are made in the last 10% of polish. We are building consumer grade experiences for people in need of healing, and they deserve the best.
● Ownership: Demonstrate follow-through on whatever you do. Take on any task necessary to help.