Mount Sinai Careers
Associate Researcher, Metabolism Institute
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
Incumbent will work closely with the PI, junior faculty and actively participate in research focused on human obesity and adipose tissue metabolism. This position combines interests and skills in lab-based and clinical research. Responsibilities include assisting other lab members with basic lab methods including tissue culture and hormone assays (50%), recruiting, consenting and scheduling volunteers for studies, working with nurses and doctors to obtain and process human adipose tissue and blood samples (40%), maintenance of lab records (10%).
For more information about our lab, please visit icahn.mssm.edu/profiles/susan-fried
Duties and responsibilities:
- Assist with preparation of cells isolated from human or rodent adipose tissues
- Culture adipose progenitors
- Perform analysis of cells including qPCR, RNA and DNA preparation, Northern, Western and other molecular biological and biochemical analyses
- Perform assays using small amounts of radioisotopes
- Independently prepare laboratory reagents and buffers
- Maintain current certifications for lab safety and human subject research
- Maintain lab records and databases using excel and similar programs
- Maintain required environmental health and safety records
- Order lab supplies and working with co-workers to make sure standard items are available
- Perform other duties as needed
- Bachelor’s degree in biology, biochemistry, or any major with ‘pre-med’ coursework
- One year or more experience in lab-based research such as prior lab experience or undergraduate independent research project and/or clinical research
- A 2 years commitment is preferred
- Computer skills including Excel, Word, graphing programs, statistics
- Outstanding organizational skills
- Excellent teamwork and communication skills
The Mount Sinai Health System believes that diversity is a driver for excellence. We share a common devotion to delivering exceptional patient care. Yet we’re as diverse as the city we call home- culturally, ethically, in outlook and lifestyle. When you join us, you become a part of Mount Sinai’s unrivaled record of achievement, education and advancement as we revolutionize medicine together.
We work hard to acquire and retain the best people, and to create a welcoming, nurturing work environment where you can develop professionally. We share the belief that all employees, regardless of job title or expertise, can make an impact on quality patient care.
Explore more about this opportunity and how you can help us write a new chapter in our story!
Over 38,000 employees strong, the mission of the Mount Sinai Health System is to provide compassionate patient care with seamless coordination and to advance medicine through unrivaled education, research, and outreach in the many diverse communities we serve.
Formed in September 2013, The Mount Sinai Health System combines the excellence of the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai with seven premier hospital campuses, including Mount Sinai Beth Israel, Mount Sinai Beth Israel Brooklyn, The Mount Sinai Hospital, Mount Sinai Queens, Mount Sinai West (formerly Mount Sinai Roosevelt), Mount Sinai St. Luke’s, and New York Eye and Ear Infirmary of Mount Sinai.
The Mount Sinai Health System is an equal opportunity employer. We promote recognition and respect for individual and cultural differences, and we work to make our employees feel valued and appreciated, whatever their race, gender, background, or sexual orientation.