Mount Sinai Careers
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
Inspects, operates, maintains and repairs plant equipment such as steam boilers, furnaces, pumps, fans, engines, generators, turbines, liquid chillers, compressors and compressed air systems, vacuum systems, heating and ventilating equipment and related auxiliary equipment. Performs tests, submits reports, and documents all work and activities. Supervises others engaged in work in the Central Plant. Serves as Watch Engineer as assigned. Performs any and all related duties as assigned by the Chief Engineer, Assistant Chief Engineer or Plant Manager
- Observes motors and gauges to determine operating condition of equipment and regulates flow of gas, oil and water for proper control of boilers and auxiliary equipment. Evaluates operating conditions and detects malfunctioning of equipment. Regulates starting devices, adjusts levers, throttles, speed controllers, pressure regulators, pumps, generators and other controls of auxiliary equipment. Periodically inspects equipment to determine the need for adjustments and repair. Makes chemical tests of water in boilers and alters content of chemicals as required. Supervises internal and external cleaning of boilers.
- Operates and regulates chilled water generation equipment and all related systems. Operates and maintains cooling towers, chilled water pumps, condenser water pumps, make-up water pumps, domestic water pumps, sump pumps, ejector pumps, fire pumps, system strainers and blow downs. Uses BAS and other operator computerized controls systems to make adjustments and monitor system operation. Takes remedial action as required in response to alarm conditions or system failures as observed or reported.
- Operates monitors and maintains as required other Central Plant equipment such as emergency generators, automatic switching equipment, Motor Control Centers, combustion air fans and Central Plant exhaust systems. Operates and monitors systems for the conveyance of medical gases such as medical air, medical vacuum, oxygen, nitrogen, carbon dioxide, etc.
- Records data such as hours of equipment operation, temperature and pressure, fuel consumption, equipment status and change of status all in accordance with existing regulations and safety procedures. Records same on round sheets, logbooks, computerized entries, work order systems and reports of any type as required.
- Directly supervises activities of Boiler Fireman or Steam Operators as required. Coordinates work assignments and supervises other plant staff such as maintenance mechanics, plumbers, electricians, maintenance workers, trades helpers, etc. Determines work priorities in absence of specific instructions from Chief Watch Engineer, inspects all work for quality, quantity and completeness.
- Establishes and maintains professional relationships with outside service contractors responsible for repairs and maintenance of Plant Systems. Interfaces as needed to ensure that assigned outside work is performed safely and efficiently. Operates plant systems as needed to facilitate the completion of repairs and maintenance work by outside contractors including starting, stopping and testing of operating parameters of Central Plant Systems.
- Maintains and follows all established safety and security procedures as established by Plant Manager, Facilities Management and Mount Sinai Environmental Health and Safety Departments.
- Performs any and all other related duties as
required or assigned by the Chief Engineer, Assistant Chief Engineer or the
- High School or GED
- 3 – 5 years progressive experience as a Watch Engineer in a high capacity Power/Energy Plant.
- Stationary Engineer Licensed by the NYC Department of Buildings
- Refrigeration Engineer Licensed by the NYC Fire Department required
- Must be able to obtain Certificate of Fitness A-35, G-17, G-97 and P-98 or equivalents within 30 days of appointment.
- Additional Certifications as determined by Facilities Management
- Proficient with Computer Software Applications such as Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Experience with Building Automation Systems such as Johnson Controls Metasys, Siemens System 600 Apogee and Andover Controls.
- Proficient and able to learn custom applications for specific systems such as boilers, chillers, and other plant equipment and computerized applications.
- Candidates should be highly organized with excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Must be able to tolerate heat, noise, smells and vibrations typical of Central Plant and Duel Fuel Steam Plant Operations.
This position generally reports to: The Chief Engineer, Assistant Chief Engineer and Plant Manager.
Strength Through Diversity
The Mount Sinai Health System believes that diversity is a driver for excellence. We share a common devotion to delivering exceptional patient care. Yet we’re as diverse as the city we call home- culturally, ethically, in outlook and lifestyle. When you join us, you become a part of Mount Sinai’s unrivaled record of achievement, education and advancement as we revolutionize medicine together.
We work hard to acquire and retain the best people, and to create a welcoming, nurturing work environment where you can develop professionally. We share the belief that all employees, regardless of job title or expertise, can make an impact on quality patient care.
Explore more about this opportunity and how you can help us write a new chapter in our story!
Who We Are
Over 38,000 employees strong, the mission of the Mount Sinai Health System is to provide compassionate patient care with seamless coordination and to advance medicine through unrivaled education, research, and outreach in the many diverse communities we serve.
Formed in September 2013, The Mount Sinai Health System combines the excellence of the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai with seven premier hospital campuses, including Mount Sinai Beth Israel, Mount Sinai Beth Israel Brooklyn, The Mount Sinai Hospital, Mount Sinai Queens, Mount Sinai West (formerly Mount Sinai Roosevelt), Mount Sinai St. Luke’s, and New York Eye and Ear Infirmary of Mount Sinai.
The Mount Sinai Health System is an equal opportunity employer. We promote recognition and respect for individual and cultural differences, and we work to make our employees feel valued and appreciated, whatever their race, gender, background, or sexual orientation.