Mount Sinai Careers
Information Security Specialist I, Department of Environmental Medicine and Public Health
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
Information Security Specialist I, 2333980
General Responder Data Center (GRDC) of the World Trade Center Health Program
is charged with the oversight and coordination of the data collection, data
analyses, and reporting on the health status of over 43,000 enrolled responders
and volunteers being seen for medical monitoring and treatment at the five
general responder Clinical Centers of Excellence (CCEs) within the NY
The Data Management Core of the GRDC is seeking a highly-motivated and skilled individual to fill the dual roles of information security and technical support specialist to join their Data Management team. The position will be responsible for performing information security tasks related to maintaining compliance with and documentation of the GRDC’s FISMA Authorization to Operate (ATO) issued by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) for approximately 80% of the time. The other 20% will be devoted to providing hardware and software end-user technical support to users within the GRDC and from the CCEs.
- Reports to and takes direction from the Data Management supervisor and Prof. Todd
- Provides state-of-the-art technical expertise and support to in-house developers to apply appropriate information security procedures and products
- Provides technical expertise and support to client, IT management and staff in risk assessments, implementation and operational aspects of appropriate information security procedures and products
- Participates in the evaluation, development and implementation of security standards, procedures and guidelines for multiple platforms and diverse systems environment (e.g., firm-wide, distributed, client server systems, and e-applications)
- Helps to develop communications, trainings and related campaigns for information security awareness among all staff
- Performs access control and account administration of critical information resources including data access rules tables
- Investigates and recommends appropriate corrective actions for information security incidents
- Helps to coordinate the reporting of data security incidents
- Reviews the development, testing and implementation of security plans, products and control techniques
- Tests and implements appropriate security methods and control techniques such as firewalls, data access rules tables, intrusion detection software, data encryption, data backup and recovery
- Performs access control and account administration of critical information resources
- Acts as a liaison to the product groups and assists them in the implementation of data privacy, information security technologies, and applications security
- Maintains an awareness of existing and proposed security standard setting groups, State and Federal legislation and regulations pertaining to information security
- Identifies regulatory changes that will affect information security policy, standards and procedures, and recommends appropriate changes
- Provides applications and general software support to end-users
- Provides support for and troubleshoots hardware issues
- Processes requests for user accounts (Windows Active Directory, Exchange email, and WTC-specific and clinical applications)
- Configures and installs PCs and related peripherals hardware
- Configures and installs operating system and applications software
- Configures TCP/IP networking for PCs, printers, scanners and copiers
- Maintains the IT inventory of hardware and software
- Does basic-to-intermediate level database and spreadsheet programming for end-users using Microsoft Access and Excel
- Troubleshoots software applications e.g. Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Access, SAS, SPSS, etc.
- Troubleshoots hardware problems, e.g. network connectivity, printer and other peripherals connections
- Performs other related duties and tasks as required
- Education: A Bachelor of Science degree in Computer Science, Information Systems or related discipline is required for this position
- Experience: The prospective candidate must have three years of technical experience in security aspects of multiple platforms, operating systems, software, communications and network protocols, end-user technical support experience for Windows operating systems and applications and configuring and installing PC hardware and other peripherals, or an equivalent combination of education and work experience. Computer and information security certifications will be a major plus
The Mount Sinai Health System believes that diversity and inclusion is a driver for excellence. We share a common devotion to delivering exceptional patient care. Yet we’re as diverse as the city we call home- culturally, ethically, in outlook and lifestyle. When you join us, you become a part of Mount Sinai’s unrivaled record of achievement, education and advancement as we revolutionize healthcare delivery together.
We work hard to recruit and retain the best people, and to create a welcoming, nurturing work environment where you have the opportunity and support to develop professionally. We share the belief that all employees, regardless of job title or expertise, have an impact on quality patient care.
Explore more about this opportunity and how you can help us write a new chapter in our story!
Over 38,000 employees strong, the mission of the Mount Sinai Health System is to provide compassionate patient care with seamless coordination and to advance medicine through unrivaled education, research, and outreach in the many diverse communities we serve.
Formed in September 2013, The Mount Sinai Health System combines the excellence of the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai with seven premier hospitals, including Mount Sinai Beth Israel, Mount Sinai Brooklyn, The Mount Sinai Hospital, Mount Sinai Queens, Mount Sinai West (formerly Mount Sinai Roosevelt), Mount Sinai St. Luke’s, and New York Eye and Ear Infirmary of Mount Sinai.
The Mount Sinai Health System is an equal opportunity employer. We promote recognition and respect for individual and cultural differences, and we work to make our employees feel valued and appreciated, whatever their race, gender, background, or sexual orientation.