Mount Sinai Careers
Pathology Grossing Specialist III - Anatomic Pathology - Full Time Evening
Strength Through Diversity
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Receives specimens for diagnostic purposes.
2. Analyzes, grossly describes and dissects moderate to high complexity pathology specimens.*
3. Obtains clinical history, lab data, x-rays and scans as appropriate.
4. Describes gross features of surgical specimens and prepares tissues for processing for light microscopy.*
5. Coordinates and/or performs gross description and dissection of surgical specimens and postmortem examinations.*
6. Coordinates Frozen Section Room activities; assists in the Frozen Section Room.*
7. Performs special procedures including frozen section slide preparation and triage of tissue for tumor bank and appropriate studies.*
8. Assists the pathologist in the preparation and performance of human postmortem examination. Assures that all specimens are accurately accessioned.*
9. Performs other related duties, including maintenance of surgical/autopsy pathology protocols
10. Interprets physician instructions written on test requisition that is accompanying the specimens.*
11. Retrieves biopsy specimen containers for quality control issues.*
12. Collates bottles according to procedures for storage purposes.
13. Maintains cleanliness of grossing area.
14. Ensures accountability of each specimen container grossed.
15. Exercises safety precautions.
16. Performs related duties
Bachelor’s degree with Biology and / or Anatomy credits
Five years of experience in grossing moderate to high complexity surgical pathology specimens
1. Exerts up to 10-15 lbs of force
2. Must be able to work in an area where dead bodies or body parts are kept/examined
3. Must meet the general requirements of the Medical Center as defined in Personnel Policy 13.2
4. Maintain a neat and orderly appearance and be punctual in attendance
5. Follows the policies of Medical Center
6. Works with and handles Biohazard (TB, HIV, Hepatitis, etc) and toxic chemicals
7. Tolerates allowable limit of chemical odor
8. Follows written and verbal instruction accurately and with good judgment
9. Learns new procedures as required
10. Maintains orderliness and cleanliness in working area
1. Clinical Laboratory Technologist