Mount Sinai Careers
Technology Specialist II - Epic
Strength Through Diversity
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
Epic - Req #2335046
Technology Specialist II
This individual researches, understands and articulates the application ecosystem including technology, industry, partner, and business unit considerations and capability requirements utilizing a thorough understanding of available technology, tools and best practices.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
1. Architecture Planning
a. Support Portfolio Management by providing architectural and strategic consulting in the areas of application strategy, application architecture principles, and application management best practices
b. Accountable for the translation of business priorities and strategies into target application architecture and application roadmap
c. Maintain a thorough understanding of technology trends, philosophies, and best practices
d. Maintain an up to date and highly relevant understanding of emerging capability requirements to support the business in its strategic and operational objectives
e. Identify opportunities for innovation
2. Application Architecture
a. Accountable for the creation of an Target Application Architecture
b. Develop and maintain the Application Architecture Roadmap
c. Provide Application Architecture consulting and advisory support to outside vendors, internal operations, and project delivery teams as needed
d. Develop solution architectures for projects that build off of Application Architecture assets that will be used to inform detailed design and implementation
e. Provide solutions architecture evaluations as needed
f. Responsible for integration strategy for the application portfolio
3. Architecture Asset Management
a. Contribute to the creation of Enterprise Architecture assets and guiding principles
b. Responsible for the creation and maintenance of Application Architecture standards, principles, and guidelines
c. Accountable for maintaining and measuring the as-is Application Architecture
d. Manage the Application Technology Lifecycle with processes and standards
e. Define and maintain Reference Application Architectures
f. Develop and maintain common application architectural components
4. Architecture Governance
a. Collaborate with the other architects and the EA team to ensure the alignment of the Enterprise Application Architecture
b. Serve as point of escalation for review and approval of key issues and decisions for Application Architecture
c. Represent Application Architecture in the Architecture Review Board and other architectural functions and processes
d. Establish and measure KPIs to ensure effectiveness and value addition of application architecture to business
5. Architecture Communication & Awareness
a. Contribute to and maintain Application Architecture assets on the EA Portal/SharePoint/Tool
b. Lead the Application Architecture Community of Practice to share best practices and assets
c. Educate the team on emerging technologies, trends, and innovation opportunities
d. Socialize and Evangelize EA community
Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or a related discipline, Master’s degree preferred, or an equivalent combination of education and work experience.
1. 12 to 15 years minimum of related work experience in IT Health solutions
2. Well versed in Enterprise Architecture concepts, tools and processes and the creation of BRD, FRD, Use Case diagrams, roadmaps, and other related systems diagrams and documentation
3. In depth knowledge of legacy and emerging IT Health solutions design philosophy
4. In depth knowledge of IT Health systems especially EMRs and ancillary systems
5. Familiarity with IT Health solution regulations including HIPAA and FDA
6. ITIL Framework competency and service excellence mindset required.
7. Requires excellent communication skills, analytical ability, strong judgment and management skills, and the ability to work effectively with both healthcare and IT management and staff.
8. Experience in an Epic environment preferred
• MS Office Suite Level Required: Advanced
• TOGAF concepts and the creation of BRD, FRD, Use Case diagrams, metadata tracking documents, and other related systems diagrams and documentation.
General Skills and Competencies
Requires excellent communication skills, analytical ability, strong judgment and management skills, and the ability to work effectively with both healthcare and IT management and staff. Must be a team player with strong interpersonal skills and a self-starter with solid time management skills and the ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously.