Mount Sinai Careers
SENIOR QUALITY IMPROVEMENT SPECIALIST (NY-RAH) - GERIATRICS AND PALLIATIVE CARE
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
Senior Quality Improvement Specialist NY-RAH 2339304
The Senior QI Specialist works on-site at nursing facilities and serve as a designated liaison for the New York-Reducing Avoidable Hospitalizations (NY–RAH) project to promote better care for long-stay nursing facility residents. NY-RAH is part of a national demonstration and is funded through a cooperative agreement with the national Medicare and Medicaid Coordination Office.
This individual works alongside eleven QI Specialists, serve as a team leader, and support the NY-RAH Clinical Director when needed. S/he will primarily work with and be based at a maximum of two nursing facilities. The Senior QI Specialist also works with other nursing facilities and the NY-RAH project management team when needed to cover a specific function of the Clinical Director. The position may also, in limited cases, work with a nursing facility to fill in the role of one of the eleven QI Specialists for a specific and time-limited period.
The Senior QI Specialist primarily works with the two assigned nursing facilities to collect and analyze data, identify patterns and trends, and develop actionable next steps to reduce avoidable hospitalizations. The Senior QI Specialist works with facility leadership to train facility front line staff; coordinates and facilitates meetings to review hospitalizations with transfer hospitals; and develops new processes and policies. The Senior QI Specialist works closely with the nursing facility administrator, director of nursing, and medical director to identify the necessary resources to improve the quality of care of residents and support treatment in the appropriate setting. S/he acts as a mentor to the team of QI Specialists and work with the Clinical Director to identify areas of improvement amongst the QI Specialists and develop training programs. The Senior QI Specialist is supported in these activities by the NY-RAH project management team, including data analytic specialists.
- Is a knowledge expert for continuous quality improvement activities; effectively teaches, coaches, mentors and/or reinforces facility staff and QI Specialists of other functional areas regarding the QI process
- Provides QAPI-focused technical assistance and subject matter expertise with regard to process improvement initiatives
- Supports QI Specialists when covering for the Clinical Director during absence
- Completes Quality Improvement tools and conduct Root Cause Analyses on transfers and review, report, and interpret conclusions to facility leadership
- Designs and executes analysis of outcomes and processes, and inform strategic thinking with quantitative and qualitative insights
- Conducts Performance Improvement Projects at the facility using project-provided claims data using the CMS Quality Assurance Performance Improvement (QAPI) principles
- Works with facility leadership on preventative action plans based on QAPI audit findings, deviations, and events related to potentially avoidable transfers; and plans follow-up audits/PDSA cycles to assess if the desired effect / change was achieved
- Trains facility staff on best practices for identifying, documenting, and communicating changes of conditions using the INTERACT principles and tools
- Reviews documentation and assess effectiveness of documentation review approaches; analyzes causes and develop solutions for documentation failures
- Develops training materials and presentations for nursing facility staff based on areas of improvement defined in the Performance Improvement Projects and/or claims data
- Presents project updates as requested
- Works with NY-RAH project staff with other project responsibilities as necessary
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s degree preferred
- Nursing or other clinical background/experience preferred
- Certified Professional in Healthcare Quality (CPHQ) certification preferred
- NYS RB licensure preferred but not required
- 3+ years nursing or other clinical background experience preferred
- 5-8 years experience working with data and data analytics preferred
- Demonstrated knowledge of Quality Measurement, LEAN methodologies,
- QAPI principles and tactics required
- Knowledge of the INTERACT program preferred
The Mount Sinai Health System believes that diversity is a driver for excellence. We share a common devotion to delivering exceptional patient care. Yet we’re as diverse as the city we call home- culturally, ethically, in outlook and lifestyle. When you join us, you become a part of Mount Sinai’s unrivaled record of achievement, education and advancement as we revolutionize medicine together.
We work hard to acquire and retain the best people, and to create a welcoming, nurturing work environment where you can develop professionally. We share the belief that all employees, regardless of job title or expertise, can make an impact on quality patient care.
Explore more about this opportunity and how you can help us write a new chapter in our story!
Over 38,000 employees strong, the mission of the Mount Sinai Health System is to provide compassionate patient care with seamless coordination and to advance medicine through unrivaled education, research, and outreach in the many diverse communities we serve.
Formed in September 2013, The Mount Sinai Health System combines the excellence of the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai with seven premier hospital campuses, including Mount Sinai Beth Israel, Mount Sinai Beth Israel Brooklyn, The Mount Sinai Hospital, Mount Sinai Queens, Mount Sinai West (formerly Mount Sinai Roosevelt), Mount Sinai St. Luke’s, and New York Eye and Ear Infirmary of Mount Sinai.
The Mount Sinai Health System is an equal opportunity employer. We promote recognition and respect for individual and cultural differences, and we work to make our employees feel valued and appreciated, whatever their race, gender, background, or sexual orientation.