Mount Sinai Careers
Patient Care Representative, NYEE Otolaryngology
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
Patient Care Representative – 2339726
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Performs routine clerical duties, including cash collections, appointment and test scheduling, registration/financial data, processing routine managed care referrals and ensuring integrity of billing data and charge documents
- Greets and registers patients; prepares and processes appropriate forms; directs patients to appropriate areas and arranges transportation needs
- Schedules patient appointments in the IDX system, consults and schedules ancillary service appointments on manual and/or computerized system
- Makes reminder and
"no show" calls and provides schedule information to the practice
Prints schedules and confirms appointments
- Performs a complete registration of patient clinical, financial and demographic information into the current EMR and PM system of the practice
- Responsible for the integrity of the data
- Collects Faculty Practice/hospital payments and co-payments
- Matches all Faculty Practice payments to corresponding charges/superbills
- Completes all necessary documents for payments accrued
- Reconciles on a daily basis cash collections against deposits
- Requires a working knowledge of New York State third party payer eligibility requirements for private and hospital billing
- Utilizes and understands basic medical terminology
- Completes visit encounter forms and enters ICD9-CM or CPT-4 information into the current PM system Reconciles all charges into the system to the original source document
- Enters all meaningful use measures into PM system
- Refers complex billing issues to the Billing department for resolution
- Orders and maintains adequate inventory of clerical supplies and equipment
- Processes managed care referrals
- Assists in training, orientation and education of entry level and/or float staff
- Demonstrates the ability to set priorities and organize work
- Identifies, reports and resolves problems effectively
- Identifies and reports staffing problems to appropriate manager or administrator
- Performs miscellaneous clerical duties such as collecting data, typing, filing, batching encounter forms, pulling up lab results, sorting mail, etc.
- Monitors patient flow in waiting room and resolves patient flow issues related to registration and post-visit processing
- Demonstrates excellent customer service skills exhibited by courtesy, cooperative spirit and tact when interacting with employees, patients and visitors
- Implements and maintains the Ambulatory Care Customer Relations Program
- Demonstrates the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care, based on physical, psychosocial, educational, safety, and related criteria, appropriate to the age of the patients served in assigned area
- Age Specific Competencies (Neonate/Infant, Pediatric, Adolescent, Adult, Geriatric)
- Identifies physical, behavioral and emotional characteristics typical for the age group
- Modifies approaches based on patient age-specific needs and responses to treatment
- Provides care for patients based on age-specific needs
- Uses communication techniques which are age appropriate
- Participates in the department’s performance improvement activities
- Maintains patient/employee confidentiality in the management of information
- Observes the Health Care System’s compliance policies
- Participates in the development of other staff members
- Meets regulatory, licensure and annual health assessment requirements
- Identifies learning strengths and needs
- Utilizes learning resources
- Demonstrates a professional, courteous and respectful attitude in dealing with patients, families and others
- Displays courtesy, tact and patience when interacting with hospital staff and people in the community
- Communicates effectively with patients, families, physicians and nurses and handles the pressures that may arise in dealing with them
- Demonstrates excellent telephone skills in dealing with the public and hospital personnel
- Adheres to MSH legal and ethical standards
- May be required to perform other duties as assigned
- Education: High School Diploma/GED minimum requirement
- Experience: 1 - 3 years of previous patient care or related experience required
Strength Through Diversity
The Mount Sinai Health System believes that diversity and inclusion is a driver for excellence. We share a common devotion to delivering exceptional patient care. Yet we’re as diverse as the city we call home- culturally, ethically, in outlook and lifestyle. When you join us, you become a part of Mount Sinai’s unrivaled record of achievement, education and advancement as we revolutionize healthcare delivery together.
We work hard to recruit and retain the best people, and to create a welcoming, nurturing work environment where you have the opportunity and support to develop professionally. We share the belief that all employees, regardless of job title or expertise, have an impact on quality patient care.
Explore more about this opportunity and how you can help us write a new chapter in our story!
Over 38,000 employees strong, the mission of the Mount Sinai Health System is to provide compassionate patient care with seamless coordination and to advance medicine through unrivaled education, research, and outreach in the many diverse communities we serve.
Formed in September 2013, The Mount Sinai Health System combines the excellence of the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai with seven premier hospitals, including Mount Sinai Beth Israel, Mount Sinai Brooklyn, The Mount Sinai Hospital, Mount Sinai Queens, Mount Sinai West (formerly Mount Sinai Roosevelt), Mount Sinai St. Luke’s, and New York Eye and Ear Infirmary of Mount Sinai.
The Mount Sinai Health System is an equal opportunity employer. We promote recognition and respect for individual and cultural differences, and we work to make our employees feel valued and appreciated, whatever their race, gender, background, or sexual orientation.